This PhD program in Chemistry is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in chemistry and who wish to earn a doctorate in chemistry degree.
The PhD program is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in chemistry or related areas and who wish to earn a doctorate in chemistry. The program of study includes some course work, but the primary emphasis is on the completion of an original research project, its articulation in a well-written thesis, and its subsequent defense before the thesis (oral examination) committee.
The PhD program is a full-time degree program that typically takes five years to complete. Financial support (teaching assistantships or research assistantships) is normally provided for students throughout their period of study if they are found to be making satisfactory progress toward their degree in accordance with departmental and university guidelines.
- Boston location ideally positioned in the heart of the Biotechnology Supercluster and Medical Hub
- Students eligible for financial support in the form of Teaching Assistantships (TAs) or Research Assistantships (RAs)
- Use-inspired research projects in materials, energy, and drug discovery are closely linked with industry via partnerships and collaboration
- Departmental research funding is greater than $16 million, across multiple disciplinary foci
- Home to the Barnett Institute of Biological and Chemical Analysis, a premier analytical chemistry institute, and the Northeastern University Center for Renewable Energy Technology
Application deadlines vary based on the program you’re applying to, and are available on the College of Science website. In addition to submitting your online application, all required application materials must be received by the stated deadlines in order for your application to be considered.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam
- Three qualifying examinations
- Annual review
- Dissertation committee
- Minimum of three seminars
- Dissertation defense
At least one seminar must be taken for a letter grade.
Chemistry Course Work
Complete 18 semester hours from the following:
or within the range of CHEM 5610 to CHEM 7320
Complete the following (repeatable) course twice:
Northeastern's signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students acquire relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Each program offers its own unique experiential learning opportunities, but they might include:
- Full-Time Co-op Opportunities — Students on co-op work in a paid position in their field of study for three to six months.
- In-Class Case Studies — Professors integrate case studies and exercises into the classroom to bring a real-world perspective and relevance to what they’re teaching.
- Research — Students collaborate with faculty in our more than 30 federally funded research centers, tackling some of the most pressing challenges in health, security, and sustainability.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 230,000 alumni and 3,000 employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Science & Mathematics alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- State Street
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
What They Do
- Business Development
- Information Technology
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
- Data Analysis
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.