Master of Arts from American Military Academy (2014)
Bill McAteer has over 28 years of law enforcement experience. He retired in the summer of 2017 as a commander with the Port of Seattle Police Department, where he served in several positions including airport, seaport, and administrative roles. He served on the Airport Law Enforcement Agencies Network (ALEAN) Board of Directors, on which he chaired the Growth and Development Committee. In the spring of 2014, McAteer served as an executive producer and member of the Technical Committee on the National Safe Skies Alliance’s Airport Active Shooter Video. For this video, he served as the on-site subject matter expert and production lead, and he has several appearances in the video including one-on-one interviews. McAteer has conducted several threat assessments that relate to active-threat response, and he has done an extensive amount of research on this topic including his master’s thesis work, which was specific to active shooters in airports.
In addition to his extensive law enforcement experience, McAteer has a wealth of experience in the aviation security field. He is an Airport Certified Employee–Security (ACE) through the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE). Bill holds several ICS-related certifications and has served as the incident commander at several security-related incidents while working at Sea-Tac. He has a master’s degree in homeland security and a bachelor’s degree in business management.
McAteer has been teaching homeland security classes since 2015 and currently works full time as an account executive for Evolve Technology, where he manages sales and business development. Evolv Technology provides a walk-through weapons detection system that is deployed in airports, sports, and entertainment venues throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Certifications/ Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Airport Executives Airport Certified Employee- Security
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP) – ASIS
- ASIS Tampa, FL, Chapter Member
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Professional Development Series Certification
- Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program (HSEEP) Certification
- Northwestern School for Police Staff and Command (2005)
- Police Executive Research Forum Senior Management Institute for Police (2011)
- Gavin de Becker Advanced Threat Assessment Academy (2006)