Professor, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, and Associate Chair of Graduate Affairs
Dr. Özlem Ergun’s research focuses on the design and management of large-scale and decentralized networks. She has applied her work on network design, management, and resilience to problems arising in many critical systems including transportation, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare. She has worked with organizations that respond to emergencies and humanitarian crises around the world, including USAID, UNWFP, UNHCR, IFRC, OXFAM America, CARE USA, FEMA, USACE, CDC, AFCEMA, and MedShare International. Dr. Ergun contributes regularly to Auribus Consulting, a Boston-based management consulting firm, as a logistics and analytics expert. Dr. Ergun has also been a leader in establishing a strong community of OR/MS professionals with an interest in public programs. She was the President of INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Service and Needs in 2013. She currently serves as the Area Editor at the Operations Research journal for Policy Modeling and the Public Sector Area. Dr. Ergun is also a founding co-chair of the annual Health and Humanitarian Logistics Conference, held annually since 2009.
- Ph. D., Operations Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA, June 2001
- B. S., Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, January 1996
Design and management of large-scale networks, supply chain design and resilience, collaboration and crowdsourcing in logistics, humanitarian logistics
- M. Celik, Ö. Ergun, P. Keskinocak, The Post-disaster Debris Clearance Problem with Incomplete Information, Operations Research, 63(1), 2015, 65-85
- L. Gui, A. Atasu, Ö. Ergun, B. Toktay, Fair and Efficient Implementation of Collective Extended Producer Responsibility Legislation, Management Science, 2014, 1-56
- Ö. Ergun, L. Gui, J.L. Heier Stamm, P. Keskinocak, J.L. Swann, Improving Humanitarian Operations through Collaboration, Production and Operations Management special issue on Humanitarian Operations and Crisis Management, 23(6), 2014, 1002-1014
- Ö. Özener, Ö. Ergun, M. Savelsbergh, Allocating Cost of Service to Customers in Inventory Routing, Operations Research, 61(1), 2013, 112-125
- Ö. Ergun, G. Karakus, P. Kerl, P. Keskinocak, J. Swann, et al., Disaster Response Planning in the Private Sector and the Role of Operations Research, Handbook of Operations Research for Homeland Security, Springer, 183, 2012, 197-217
- R. Agarwal, Ö. Ergun, Network Design and Allocation Mechanisms for Carrier Alliances in Liner Shipping, Operations Research, 58(6), 2010, 1726-1742
- D. Altner, Ö. Ergun, N.A. Uhan, On the Maximum Flow Network Interdiction Problem, Operations Research Letters, 38, 2010, 33-38
- R. DesRoches, Ö. Ergun, J. Swann, Haiti’s Eternal Weight, Op-ed in New York Times, July 7, 2010
- Winner, EURO/INFORMS 2007 Management Science Strategic Innovation Prize given on the subject of Logistics with “Designing mechanisms for the management of carrier alliances”, 2007.
- Most Cited Paper Award, Signal Processing: Image Communication given to the most cited paper published between the years 2005-2007 with \A multi-path selection for multiple description video streaming over overlay networks.”
- NSF CAREER award, 2003