Students must maintain full-time status at NU while abroad, and full-time status at the host institution. The course load for each study abroad program may vary, depending on the program, please check the credit conversion and full-time status of your host institution.
All students should speak with their Academic Advisor regarding what courses they have to take to fulfill their degree audit requirements. This includes discussing how the credit amount a student takes abroad will impact their progress towards graduation.
Please note that different majors/minors have different course policies. Be sure to discuss this with your academic advisor.
Students must research courses that they are interested in taking abroad, including multiple back-up courses, and confirm that they have been evaluated for NU equivalents. To do this, search in Courses by Program or Courses by NU Course
- Note: courses listed on the drop down are not guaranteed to be offered during your desired term abroad. Please confer with the course catalogue from your host institution to see which courses are being offered during a specific semester.
If a course is not listed in the database, this means that it has not been evaluated yet and must be submitted to GEO for evaluation.
If a course is listed as “NO TRANSFER,” this means that the course has already been reviewed by an NU faculty evaluator and they have determined that the course will not transfer back to NU for credit.
To submit a course for evaluation you will need the following information:
- A complete syllabus
- Pre-requisites for the course
- A complete reading list
- The department the course is taught in
Students should look for this information on the host institution website, but if it is not available online, please reach out to the host institution directly. If students have questions or issues contacting the host institution, they can reach out to their GEO Coordinator.
To submit a course for evaluation, please submit the following information in PDF form through the Study Abroad Course Evaluation Form
- You will be asked to login, please use your NEU credentials.
- Students will be alerted by email once the courses have been evaluated or needs further information. Course evaluations can take up to 4 weeks.
Faculty evaluators will evaluate the courses based on the content of the course and make the appropriate evaluations.