As a young and research-intensive with a global reputation, Nanyang Technological University in Singapore is ranked 13th globally. Placed 1st amongst the world’s best young universities, NTU attracts both students and faculty from across the world. NTU provides a high-quality global education to about 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students with University faculty and research staff hailing from 80 countries, bringing dynamic international perspectives and years of solid industry experience.
Working with local and global organizations, NTU actively explores cross-disciplinary solutions for the future working alongside many global industry and research leaders. In 2009, NTU led the formation of the Global Alliance of Technological Universities, comprising seven top universities tackling societal issues through leading-edge science and technology.
Students will arrive in Singapore a week before the program start date in order to complete lab safety training and become familiarised with the NTU campus. Each Northeastern student will be paired with a NTU student on arrival.
- Application Open: January 1, 2016
- Deadline: March 1, 2016
- Extension: March 16, 2016
Submit to GEO
- GEO Application: All applicants must complete the GEO application. This is the first step for applying to any program.
- Passport Photo ID: A colour copy of the ID page government issued passport page.
Submit to Host University
- Host Application: Students will be nominated by GEO to Nanyany Technological University. NTU will send application material to students to continue the process. Any further documentation required will be sent to NTU directly.
Update My Travel Plans on myNortheastern
Once you have been accepted into your program, you are required to create an entry in My Travel Plans for the trip. Please be sure to enter the following pieces of information:
- Personal and Emergency Contact Info
- HealthTravel Info: Dates, flight and accommodation details, etc.
- Passport Details: Passport number, Expiration date, Passport Country of issue, etc.
Please refer to this step-by-step user’s guide for directions on how to navigate the My Travel Plans system.
Should you fail to complete this step as directed, you may be prevented from traveling, may not receive credit for courses, and/or may be excluded from participating in other Northeastern global programs.
Study abroad spaces will be filled on a first come first serve basis by qualified students that meet eligibility requirements. The program may fill before the application deadline and will be closed as soon as all spaces are filled.
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.5
- Minimum Semesters: Minimum of 2 completed Northeastern semesters at the time of program start date. NUin students are eligible to apply during their first semester on the Boston campus. Transfer and Global Pathways students contact GEO program coordinator for eligibility.
- Restricted to: This program is only available to Chemical Engineering students.
Studying abroad requires a valid passport. You may also need a visa and/or other travel documents. It is your responsibility to ensure that all your documents are valid and appropriate to the nature of your program.
Students will be required to achieve a minimum of 320 hours of research over an 8 week period. In order for credits to be awarded each student will be expected to maintain 8 hours of research/work per day in a 5-day work week.
Please note, as students will be taking the same course twice this is equal to 6 credits at NTU and 8 credits at NU.
Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
- MS9089 - Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program : This is a research program that provides students the opportunity to pursue appropriate independent research under the supervision of a faculty member. Students will select a research topic of their choice. Upon completion, students will be assessed by an Oral Presentation and submit a conference style research paper to be graded by their faculty supervisor. Click here for project options.
All courses taken abroad must successfully be evaluated through the course equivalency process. To review the course equivalencies process and database please click here.
Policies & Procedures
Prior to application, please review GEO’s policies and procedures. This is the student’s responsibility.
Course Approval FormStudents must confirm their study abroad courses and corresponding Northeastern equivalents with their academic advisors for approval, using the online course approval process. This is located on myNortheastern within Services & Links, under Experiential Learning/Co-op, labeled Global Experiences/Study Abroad Course Selection. Please note that only academic advisors can confirm how a Northeastern equivalent will fit into students’ degree audits, and if it will fulfill any degree requirements.
Northeastern Tuition: $12'140
Tuition covers 8 Northeastern credits. On certain programs students may be required by the host institution to enroll in a course load that could exceed 8 credits. If a student elects to transfer back more than two courses (or 8 credits), then the student will incur an overload fee as defined by the Northeastern University Registrar’s website.
International Security and Emergency Support Fee: $100
This covers International Security and Emergency Support.
Students are responsible for all other expenses, including housing and other non-academic costs for which they will be billed directly by the program provider or host institution. Students are also responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flights.
GEO offers scholarships and grants for students studying abroad on Traditional programs. Please visit our Scholarships page for more info!
A dynamic city rich in contrast and color, students will find a harmonious blend of culture, cuisine, arts and architecture in Singapore. Brimming with unbridled energy, this little dynamo in Southeast Asia embodies the finest of both East and West.
Singapore is made up of not just one island but a main island with 63 surrounding islets. The main island has a total land area of 682 square km. However, its compact size belies its economic growth. In just 150 years, Singapore has grown into a thriving centre of commerce and industry. Its former role as an entrepot has diminished, as the nation has increased its manufacturing base. Singapore is the busiest port in the world with over 600 shipping lines sending super tankers, container ships and passenger liners to share the busy waters with coastal fishing vessels and wooden lighters. It is linked to Malaysia by two causeway bridges, and the key islands of the Riau archipelago of Indonesia are just a quick ferry trip away. Thailand and the Philippines are a short plane journey away.
Please remember that Northeastern University does not arrange accommodations for you while you are abroad – this is your responsibility. You should follow all of your host institution’s or housing provider’s procedures and deadlines for obtaining housing. Failure to do so may mean you are not able to arrange housing through the program.
- Off-Campus through Program: Northeastern students will not be staying in the NTU campus. They will stay at a hostel which is near NTU campus. Hostel options will be sent along with application material to students. NTU will subsidise accommodation costs for each student by $500. Students will pay for the hostel first and submitting a receipt to the School for reimbursement.
Host University or Organization
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a research-intensive university with globally acknowledged strengths in science and engineering. The university is ranked amoung the world’s top 100 universities. NTU provides a high-quality education to more than 21,700 undergraduates and 9,400 graduate students. The student body includes top scholars and international Olympiad medalists from the region and beyond.