Dialogue of Civilizations programs are faculty-led programs, offered during either Summer 1 or Summer 2, that focus on critical issues facing students and their peers at both the local and global levels. Students typically spend around 30 days in-country with a faculty leader from Northeastern University, learning about a specific topic or course subject in a chosen location. This type of experience is best suited for students who are looking for an intensive short-term international experience.
For Summer 2021, Northeastern faculty and the Global Experience Office (GEO) have developed Dialogue of Civilizations (DOC) Programs while monitoring international travel and visa restrictions, CDC guidelines and Northeastern University’s COVID-19 protocols and policies. As a response to the evolving global pandemic, all DOC programs are being developed in two modalities: in-person/in-country and virtual. Should Northeastern determine that a DOC program cannot be delivered in-country, the program will be offered to students virtually.
Your Faculty Leader in conjunction with your GEO Advisor will be your primary contacts throughout your Dialogue of Civilizations program. Please refer to the program pages of the website for contact information or to schedule an appointment with a team member.
We encourage all students to participate in a virtual info session about Dialogue of Civilizations before beginning the application process. To start the info session, click here: DOC Info Session.Click here to learn more about what a DOC is: What is a DOC?
Summer 2021 programs are live on the GEO website!
- January 3, 2021: Student applications open!
- February 1, 2021: Priority Deadline
- February 15, 2021: Final Deadline
- March 15, 2021: Extended Final Deadline. Please note, programs close on a rolling basis as they fill.
- February 8- March 8, 2021: Acceptance decisions are made and communicated to students every Monday.
- Upon acceptance, students have five days to commit to the program (virtual and in-person) by submitting a $500.00 commitment deposit, which goes towards the overall DOC program cost.
- The commitment deposit is non-refundable, unless Northeastern cancels the program.