The Procurement Supplier Diversity and Local Program encourages business opportunities for minority business enterprises, women-owned business enterprises, and local, small businesses in hopes of contributing to the economic growth of a diverse business community. Procurement Buyers participate in outreach activities throughout the year as a means to meet new, diverse and local suppliers. We believe that local businesses provide a means of building a truly diverse introduction and relationship with Boston.
Audience(s): Community Engagement
Theme(s): Local Community Efforts
- Northeastern spent $42.6M with Small Local, Women Owned and Minority Owned Business Enterprises (SL/W/MBEs). Of this total, $18.1 million represented the total university spending with woman- and minority-owned business and $24.5 million with small, local businesses.
- In the past fiscal year, Northeastern nearly doubled the percentage spent with W/MBEs from 8% of spending in FY14 to 15.73% in FY15. The university has exceeded its commitment of achieving 12% spending with W/MBEs within 3 years.
- In April, Northeastern ran a Capacity Building program for 16 SL/W/MBEs (Small Local, Women Owned, Minority Owned Business Enterprises). Ten of the businesses were awarded contracts with Northeastern within 6 months of the training. 100% of surveyed participants say the program helped them refine their pitch and reach out to other anchor institutions in Boston.
- With the development of the new Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex (ISEC), Northeastern worked between 2014-2015 to hold meetings with the ISEC Diversity Team and subcontractors on the project to strategize efforts to increase Boston resident, Minority and Women Workforce participation, host partnership meetings for Minority and Women Owned Businesses, and Opportunity Sessions. In addition, Northeastern hosted free 10-hr. OSHA training sessions for Boston residents.
- Northeastern will continue to hold vendor fairs, including events targeted specifically to SLBEs and W/MBEs.
- Community Networking Events
- In an effort to promote engagement Northeastern hosted the 3rd annual “W/MBE & SLBENetworking” event on August 21st, 2014 at the University’s Curry Student Center. There were over 300 attendees that had access to 30 tables with representation from many local schools and state agencies including Boston College, Harvard University, Simmons College, Boston University, Wentworth Institute, MBTA, and Massachusetts Department of Transportation. The event was a success as it created a great opportunity for businesses to make connections with potential clients. This event will be held again in Summer 2016.