In order to declare a CSSH major, students must schedule an appointment and meet with the CSSH academic advisor for their desired major.
Here are the possible pathways to declaring a CSSH major:
- After meeting with the CSSH academic advisor for the desired major, students who meet all entrance criteria will be approved and receive a confirmation email. Where no major-specific requirements are listed (see below), the entrance criteria is a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Some students who do not meet the entrance criteria for their desired major and have a cumulative GPA below a 2.0 may be eligible for a Provisional Semester. Under these circumstances, students are required to:
- Schedule an appointment and meet with Sally Solomon, CSSH’s Academic Persistence Specialist;
- Together, you will review the desired major’s entrance criteria and degree requirements, discuss time-to-degree, and complete a Provisional Semester Contract
- The Provisional Semester Contract will outline the necessary grades and/or GPA the student is required to earn during the Provisional Semester in order to enter their desired major.
- It is strongly recommended that students also meet with a CSSH undergraduate program advisor in the new major to take advantage of his/her expertise in such things as curricular options, research opportunities, graduate school possibilities, and career paths.
Major-specific entrance criteria
Any student with an overall GPA of 2.500 or higher may transfer into the following International Affairs majors and combined majors:
- International Affairs
- International Affairs (with regional concentrations- — see International Affairs website)
- International Affairs and Cultural Anthropology
- International Affairs and Economics
- International Affairs and Religious Studies
Students with GPA of 2.000–2.499 are eligible for a Transitional Semester. The student and the CSSH academic advisor will complete a Transitional Semester Contract for the intended major during their meeting. This contract will outline the necessary grades and/or GPA the student is required to earn during the Transitional Semester in order to enter their desired International Affairs major or combined major.
Students with GPA of 2.000–2.499 must complete the following course with a grade of B- or better:
- INTL 1101 Globalization and International Affairs (4 SH)
Additionally, transitional semester students must complete two of the following three courses with a grade of B- or better:
- ANTH 1101 Peoples and Cultures (4 SH)
- HIST 2211 World History since 1945 (4 SH)
- POLS 1160 International Relations (4 SH)
**Note**: The Environmental Studies and International Affairs combined major is housed within the College of Science (COS). To see requirements for major change requirements for COS majors, click here
Politics, Philosophy, & Economics (PPE):
Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.000 or higher will be eligible to change their majors to the PPE program.