Patricia Illingworth is a professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religion and in the D’Amore-McKim School of Business, as well as a lecturer in law at the Northeastern University School of Law. Professor Illingworth has expertise in both philosophy and law. She teaches courses in global justice, medical and business ethics, bioethics, and health policy and law. She has served on the Human Rights Committee of the Massachusetts Mental Health Center and the Ethics Committee of the Mount Auburn Hospital, both affiliated with Harvard Medical School. Professor Illingworth has written two books, AIDS and the Good Society (Routledge 1991) and Trusting Medicine: The Ethics of Managed Care (under review). She has also published widely in scholarly journals on professional ethics, the ethics of managed care and other issues that overlap business and medical ethics. She has held fellowships at both Harvard Medical School and Harvard Law School. Professor Illingworth has been admitted to the Massachusetts Bar. Most recently her research is on ethics, philanthropy and charitable tax law.
- The Power of Pills, co-edited with Udo Schuklenk and Jillian Claire Cohen; Pluto Press, MacMillan Publications (2006)
- Trusting Medicine: The Moral Costs of Managed Care; Routledge (2005)
- Ethical Healthcare, Co-edited with Wendy Parmet; Prentice Hall (2005)
- AIDS and the Good Society; Routledge (1995)
- “In Our Best Interest: Meeting Moral Duties to LGB Adolescent Students, (with Timothy Murphy), forthcoming in The Journal of Social Philosophy.
- “The Dilemma of International Property Rights for Pharmaceuticals: the Tension Between Securing Access of the Poor to Medicines and Committing to International Agreements, (with Jillian Clare Cohen), Developing World Bioethics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2003 pp. 27-48.
- “Trust: The Scarcest of Medical Resources, The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy Vol. 27, No. 1, 2002 pp. 30-46.
- “Employer Leadership in the Era of Workplace Rationing, Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2001 pp. 172-183.
- Giving Well: The Ethics of Philanthropy. Editors: Patricia Illingworth, Thomas Pogge, and Leif Wenar. Oxford University Press (2010).