Edward W. Brooke Professor of Political Science; Associate Professor of Political Science and International Affairs
Ph.D., 2005, Politics
Mondays 2-4pm, or by appointment
920 Renaissance Park
920 Renaissance Park
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Resume / CV
Mai’a K. Davis Cross researches European politics, especially in the areas of foreign and security policy, epistemic communities, crises, diplomacy, and public diplomacy. She holds a PhD in politics from Princeton University, and a bachelor’s degree in government from Harvard University. She is the author of three books: The Politics of Crisis in Europe (Cambridge University Press, February 2017), Security Integration in Europe: How Knowledge-based Networks are Transforming the European Union (University of Michigan Press, 2011), and The European Diplomatic Corps: Diplomats and International Cooperation from Westphalia to Maastricht (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007). Her second book was the 2012 winner of the Best Book Prize from the University Association of Contemporary European Studies. She is also co-editor (with Jan Melissen) of European Public Diplomacy: Soft Power at Work (Palgrave, 2013), and (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski) Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy: The Ukraine-Russia Crisis (special issue, Journal of Common Market Studies, 2016). Dr. Cross has also written over 25 articles and book chapters on a wide range of topics, including European defense, counter-terrorism, crises, and intelligence sharing. She is currently a term member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- The Politics of Crisis in Europe, New York: Cambridge University Press, February 2017.
- Security Integration in Europe: How Knowledge-based Networks are Transforming the European Union, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2011 (hardback), 2013 (paperback). 2012 Best Book Prize from the University Association for Contemporary European Studies
- The European Diplomatic Corps: Diplomats and International Cooperation from Westphalia to Maastricht, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
EDITED BOOK AND SPECIAL JOURNAL ISSUE
- Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy: The Ukraine-Russia Crisis, (co-edited with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Journal of Common Market Studies, (EarlyView August 2016) January 2017.
- European Public Diplomacy: Soft Power at Work, (co-edited with Jan Melissen), Series in Global Public Diplomacy, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- “The Global Strategy and EU Diplomacy.” 2016. Contemporary Security Policy 37(3).
- “What type of power has the EU exercised in the Ukraine-Russia crisis? A framework of analysis.” 2016. (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Journal of Common Market Studies 55(1).
- “The EU’s Power in the Russia-Ukraine Crisis: Enabled or Constrained?” 2016. (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Journal of Common Market Studies 55(1).
- “EU Crises & Integrational Panic: The Role of the Media.” 2015. (with Xinru Ma), Journal of European Public Policy 22(8): 1053-1070.
- “The European Defence Agency and the Member States: Public and Hidden Transcripts.” 2015. Special issue: Resisting Norms in EU Foreign & Security Policy, European Foreign Affairs Review, 20(3): 83-102.
- “The Limits of Epistemic Communities: EU Security Agencies.” 2015. Special issue: The Role of Expert Knowledge in EU Executive Institutions, Politics & Governance 3(1): 90-100.
- “Rethinking Epistemic Communities Twenty Years Later.” 2013. Review of International Studies, 39(1): 137-160.
- “The Military Dimension of European Security: An Epistemic Community Approach.” 2013. Millennium 42(1): 45-64.
- “A European Transgovernmental Intelligence Network and the Role of IntCen.” 2013. Special Issue: Agency Governance in the European Union’s Area of Freedom, Security and Justice, Perspectives on European Politics and Society, 14(3): 388-402.
- “Identity Politics and European Integration.” 2012. Comparative Politics, 44(2): 229-246.
- “Europe, A Smart Power?” 2011. International Politics, 48(6): 691-706.
- “Building a European Diplomacy: Recruitment & Training to the EEAS.” 2011. European Foreign Affairs Review, 16(4): 447-464.
- “Cooperation by Committee: The EU Military Committee and the Committee for Civilian Crisis Management.” 2010. Occasional Paper, No. 82. Paris: European Union Institute for Security Studies, pp. 1-38.
- “An EU Homeland Security? Sovereignty vs. Supranational Order.” 2007. European Security, 16(1): 79-97.
- (forthcoming) “The merits of informality: The European trans-governmental intelligence network,” Intelligence Law and Policies in Europe
- (forthcoming) “Environmental Diplomacy,” (with Diarmuid Torney) in Camilla Adelle, Katja Biedenkopf, and Diarmuid Torney (eds) The External Dimension of European Union Environmental Policy: Rules, Regulation and Governance Beyond Borders, Palgrave.
- (forthcoming) “EU Institutions & Peace,” Nobel Symposium book project
- “The Public Diplomacy Role of the EEAS: Crafting a Resilient Image for Europe,” in David Spence and Jozef Batora (eds), The European External Action Service: European Diplomacy Post-Westphalia, Palgrave, 2015. pp. 341-355.
- “A Media Perspective on European Crises,” (with Xinru Ma), in Hans-Joerg Trenz, Carlo Ruzza, Virginie Guiraudan (eds), Europe’s Prolonged Crisis: The Making or the Unmaking of a Political Union, Palgrave, 2015. pp. 210-231.
- “The Practice of Diplomacy and EU Security Policy,” in Maciej Wilga and Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski (eds), New Approaches to EU Foreign Policy, Routledge Advances in European Politics, London: Routledge, 2014. pp. 106-124.
- “Transatlantic Cultural Diplomacy,” in Raphaela Henze and Gernot Wolfram (eds), Exporting Culture: Which Role for Europe in a Global World? Springer VS, 2014. pp. 13-24.
- “La coopération par comité. Le Comité militaire de l’UE et le Comité pour la gestion civile des crises,” in Grégory Boutherin et Emmanuel Goffi (eds), L’Europe et sa defense. Paris: éditions Choiseul, 2011. pp. 97-124.
- “Sustainable Diplomacy in the European Union,” in Costas M. Constantinou and James Der Derian (eds), Sustainable Diplomacies, Studies and Diplomacy and International Relations, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. pp. 192-212.
- “A European Epistemic Community of Diplomats,” in Paul Sharp and Geoffrey Wiseman (eds), The Diplomatic Corps as an Institution of International Society, Studies in Diplomacy and International Relations, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. pp. 223-245.
Awards and Honors
- Best Book Prize for Security Integration in Europe from the University Association for Contemporary European Studies, 2012
- American Political Science Association Pi Sigma Alpha Teaching Recognition, 2012
- USC Learning Environment Award for teaching using technology, 2012
- Winner of the USC Steven B. Sample Teaching and Mentoring Award, 2011. (given to one junior faculty member university-wide each year)
- Council on Foreign Relations, Term Member, 2014-2019
- The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, International Advisory Board, 2014-present
- ARENA Centre for European Studies, Senior Research Fellow, 2012-present
- Netherlands Institute of International Relations Clingendael, Senior Visiting Fellow, 2012-present
- Palgrave Macmillan Series in Global Public Diplomacy, Editorial Board, 2012-present
- Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, Editorial Board, 2012-present