Neal F. Finnegan Distinguished Professor of Economics
University of Pennsylvania
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- ECON3462 Bubbles, Busts, and Bailouts: The Microeconomics of the Financial Crisis
- ECON 4860 Industrial Organization and Public Policy
- ECON7772 Public Policy toward Business
Resume / CV
John Kwoka teaches and conducts research in the areas of industrial organization, antitrust, and regulatory economics. His emphasis is on the application of economics to current policy issues in various industries. His other teaching interests include courses on the microeconomics of the financial crisis and on sports economics. Kwoka’s recent research has focused on the effectiveness of merger policy in the U.S. His book on this subject Mergers, Merger Control, and Remedies in the United States: A Retrospective Analysis was published by MIT Press in 2015. He also co-edits The Antitrust Revolution, the leading casebook on recent antitrust cases. He has worked at the U.S. antitrust and regulatory agencies and serves as adviser or consultant to them and to those of other countries and international agencies.
- “From the Fringe to the Forefront: Low-Cost Carriers and Airline Price Determination,” with K. Hearle and P. Alepin, Review of Industrial Organization, 2016.
- “The Changing Nature of Efficiencies in Mergers and in Merger Analysis,” Antitrust Bulletin, September 2015.
- “Predicting Merger Outcomes: The Accuracy of Stock Market Event Studies, Market Structure Characteristics, and Agency Decisions,” with C. Gu, Journal of Law & Economics, August 2015.
- “Structure, Conduct, Policy, and Performance: The ‘Simple Model’ of F. M. Scherer,” Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, March 2014.
- “Rockonomics: The Ticketmaster-Live Nation Merger and the Rock Concert Business”, The Antitrust Revolution, J. Kwoka and L. White, eds, 2014.
- “Does Merger Control Work? A Retrospective on U.S. Enforcement Actions and Merger Outcomes”, Antitrust Law Journal, 2013.
- The Antitrust Revolution, co-edited with L.J. White
- Mergers and Merger Remedies, forthcoming (MIT Press)
- “Does Merger Control Work?” Antitrust Law Journal
- “Rockonomics: The Ticketmaster-Live Nation Merger,” in The Antitrust Revolution
- “Incentive Regulation, Service Quality, and Standards in U.S. Electricity Distribution,” with A. Martiroyson, Journal of Regulatory Economics
- “The Auto Industry under Duress: Fit or Finished?” Competition Policy International
Awards and Honors
- Jerry S. Cohen Award for Antitrust Scholarship, presented by the American Antitrust Institute (2014)
- Distinguished Service Award, presented by the Industrial Organization Society (2012)
- “The Structural Presumption and the Safe Harbor in Merger Review: False Positives, or Unwarranted Concerns?”
- “Strategic Responses to Competitive Threats: Airlines in Action,” with B. Batkeyev
- From the Fringe to the Forefront: Low-Cost Carriers and Airline Price Determination, with K. Hearle and P. Alepin
- Predicting Merger Outcomes: The Accuracy of Stock Market Event Studies, Market Structure Characteristics, and Agency Decisions, with C. Gu
- American Economics Association
- European Association for Research in Industrial Economics
- Industrial Organization Society (past president)
- International Competition Network
- Southern Economics Association (past vice-president)