Associate Professor of English
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
On sabbatical fall 2017.
409 Holmes Hall
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Beth Britt, an associate professor of English, is a rhetorical theorist and critic whose research focuses on legal rhetoric. Her current project is an ethnographic study of legal education as rhetorical education.
Prof. Britt teaches undergraduate courses in writing and rhetoric, including “Introduction to Rhetoric,” “Writing for Prelaw,” “Rhetoric of Law,” and “Style & Editing.” At the graduate level, she has recently taught courses in rhetorical theory, rhetorical education, and law & the humanities.
- Reimagining Advocacy: Rhetorical Education in the Legal Clinic. RSA Series in Transdisciplinary Rhetoric. University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University Press, 2018. (In press.)
- “Listening Rhetorically to Defending Our Lives: Identification and Advocacy in Intimate Partner Abuse.” Law, Culture and the Humanities 10:1 (2014): 155-178.
- “Dangerous Deliberation: Subjective Probability and Rhetorical Democracy in the Jury Room.” Rhetoric Society Quarterly 39:2 (2009): 103-123.
- “Rhetoric and Ethnography.” The International Encyclopedia of Communication. Vol. IX. Ed. Wolfgang Donsbach. Oxford, UK, and Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2008.
- “The Rhetorical Work of Institutions.” Critical Power Tools: Cultural Studies and Technical Communication. Ed. J. Blake Scott, Bernadette Longo, and Katherine V. Wills. Albany: SUNY P, 2006. 133-150.
- Conceiving Normalcy: Rhetoric, Law, and the Double Binds of Infertility. Inaugural volume of the Series in Rhetoric, Culture, and Social Critique. Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P. August 2001.
Awards and Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Northeastern University, 2007.
- Research and Scholarship Development Grant, Northeastern University, 2000-01.
- Predoctoral Grant. Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, 1995-96.
- Joanne Wagner Fellowship for Graduate Study. Department of Language, Literature, and Communication, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1994–97.
- Embodied Advocacies: Rhetorical Education and Expertise in the Legal Clinic. Book manuscript under advance contract with Penn State University Press.
- Rhetoric Society of America
- Coalition of Feminist Scholars in the History of Rhetoric and Composition
- National Communication Association
- Association of Law, Culture and the Humanities
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Conference on College Composition and Communication