Cellular Bioenergetics Lab
The ability of cells to respond to stress or damage is intrinsically tied to their metabolic health and function. The Crane Lab studies how metabolic signaling dictates the function of skin epidermal stem cells in the context of aging, skin cancer and wound healing. We are a translational biology research lab and we use transgenic mice, cultured cells, and human tissue samples in our research. The ultimate aim of this research is to develop new therapies for human diseases and improve tissue repair and regeneration.
- Crane ED, Wong W, Zhang H, O’Neil G and Crane JD. “AMPK inhibits mTOR-driven keratinocyte proliferation after skin damage and stress”. In Press at the Journal of Investigative Dermatology Jan 2021.
- Mehta S, Young CC, Warren MR, Akhtar S, Shefelbine SJ, Crane JD and Bajpayee AG. “Resveratrol and curcumin attenuate ex vivo sugar-induced cartilage glycation, stiffening, senescence and degeneration” 2021 Jan 20. doi: 10.1177/1947603520988768.
- MacNeil LG, Tarnopolsky MA and Crane JD. “Acute, exercise-induced alteration in cytokines and chemokines in the blood distinguish physically active and sedentary aging. The Journal of Gerontology. 2020 Dec 8: doi: 10.1093/gerona/glaa310
- Wong W, Kim A, Monaghan JR, Seifert AW, Maden M and Crane JD. Spiny mice (Acomys) exhibit attenuated hallmarks of aging and rapid cell turnover after UV exposure in the skin epidermis.PLoS One. 2020 Oct 30;15(10):e0241617.
- Yabut JM, Desjardins EM, Chan EJ, Day EA, Leroux JM, Wang B, Crane ED, Wong W, Morrison KM, Crane JD, Khan WI and Steinberg GR. Genetic deletion of mast cell serotonin synthesis prevents the development of obesity and insulin resistance. Nature Communications. 2020 Jan 23;11(1):463.
- Wong W, Crane ED, Kuo Y, Kim A and Crane JD. Slow wound healing in aged skin is rescued by the exercise cytokine interleukin-15. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. Dec 27;294(52):20024-20038. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA119.010740
- Yabut JM, Crane JD, Green AE, Khan WI and Steinberg GR. Emerging roles for serotonin in regulating metabolism: New implications for an ancient molecule. Endocrine Reviews 2019 Mar 22.
- Crane JD, Yellin SA, Ong FJ, Singh NP, Konyer N, Noseworthy MD, Schmidt LA, Saigal S and Morrison KM. ELBW survivors in early adulthood have higher hepatic, pancreatic and subcutaneous fat. Scientific Reports. 2016 Aug 17;6:31560.
- Mottillo EP, Desjardins EM, Crane JD, Smith BK, Green AE, Ducommun S, Henriksen TI, Rebalka IA, Razi A, Sakamoto K, Scheele C, Kemp BE, Hawke TJ, Ortega J, Granneman JG, Steinberg GR. Lack of adipocyte AMPK exacerbates insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis through brown and beige adipose tissue function. Cell Metabolism. 2016 Jul 12;24(1):118-129.
- Bujak AL, Crane JD, Lally JS, Ford RJ, Kang S, Rebalka IA, Green AE, Kemp BE, Hawke TJ, Schertzer JD, Steinberg GR. AMPK activation of muscle autophagy prevents fasting-induced hypoglycemia and myopathy during aging. Cell Metabolism. 2015 Jun 2;21(6):883-90.
- Crane JD, MacNeil LG, Lally JS, Ford RJ, Bujak AL, Kemp BE, Raha S, Steinberg GR, Tarnopolsky MA. Exercise-stimulated interleukin-15 is controlled by AMPK and regulates skin metabolism and aging. Aging Cell. 2015 Apr 22.
- Crane JD, Palanivel R, Mottillo EP, Bujak AL, Wang H, Ford RJ, Collins A, Blumer RM, Fullerton MD, Kim JJ, Ghia J, Hamza SM, Morrison KM, Dyck JR, Schertzer JD, Khan WI, Steinberg GR. Inhibiting peripheral serotonin synthesis reduces obesity and metabolic dysfunction by promoting brown adipose tissue thermogenesis. Nature Medicine. 2015 Feb;21(2):166-72.
- Crane JD, Mottillo EP, Farncombe TH, Morrison KM, Steinberg GR. A standardized infrared imaging technique that specifically detects UCP1-mediated thermogenesis in vivo. Molecular Metabolism. 2014 Apr 21;3(4):490-4.
- Crane JD, Abadi A, Hettinga BP, Ogborn DI, Macneil LG, Steinberg GR, Tarnopolsky MA. Elevated Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress Impairs Metabolic Adaptations to Exercise in Skeletal Muscle. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 6;8(12):e81879.
- Crane JD, MacNeil LG, Tarnopolsky MA. Long-term aerobic exercise is associated with greater muscle strength throughout the lifespan. Journal of Gerontology A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013 Jun;68(6):631-8
- Crane JD, Ogborn DI, Cupido C, Melov S, Hubbard A, Bourgeois JM, Tarnopolsky MA. Massage therapy attenuates inflammatory signaling after exercise-induced muscle damage. Science Translational Medicine. 2012 Feb 1;4(119):119ra13.
- O’Neill HM, Maarbjerg SJ, Crane JD, Jeppesen J, Jørgensen SB, Schertzer JD, Shyroka O, Kiens B, van Denderen BJ, Tarnopolsky MA, Kemp BE, Richter EA, Steinberg GR. AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) b1b2 muscle null mice reveal an essential role for AMPK in maintaining mitochondrial content and glucose uptake during exercise. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U S A. 2011 Sep 20;108(38):16092-7.
- Crane JD, Devries MC, Safdar A, Hamadeh MJ, Tarnopolsky MA. The effect of aging on human skeletal muscle mitochondrial and intramyocellular lipid ultrastructure. Journal of Gerontology A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010 Feb;65(2):119-28.