Corps Member Position
As Corps members in Jumpstart, students have the unique opportunity to inspire young children to learn, serve in a local community, work on a team of peers, and build professional development skills. All Corps members receive professional-caliber training to help them implement Jumpstart’s outcome-based program, promote children’s school success, and build family involvement. Corps members will impact the lives of young children and help them grow in an appreciation of reading and learning.
Corps Members commit to serving 300 hours over the course of the academic school year. This works out to be between 12-15 hours per week and breaks down as follows:
- Jumpstart sessions with your team twice a week for two hours*
- Team planning meetings for about 2-3 hours per week*
- About 4-5 hours each week in a preschool classroom during the regular school day
- 1 hour of individual planning and preparation for Jumpstart sessions
- Spend time with 3-5 year old children that need you
- If eligible for Work-Study, you can earn your award through this service!
- Gain professional skills and experience working with children and adults (great resume builder!)
- Receive 50-60 hours of professional training
- Work on a team of your peers and meet other Northeastern students
- Might be able to earn academic credit if you are taking a Service-Learning class
- Upon completion of your service requirements, volunteers who choose to participate as AmeriCorps members might be eligible to earn a $1,194 education award!
*Although some of those hours are flexible, students must be able to fit one of the following session and team planning meeting times into both their fall and spring schedule:
- Monday and Thursday from 2:00pm-6:00pm (can accommodate those who get out of class at 2:40pm)
- Tuesday and Friday from 8:30am-1:30pm
- Tuesday and Friday from 2:00pm-6:00pm