Jumpstart is a national early education organization and proud AmeriCorps program that trains and prepares college students to mentor preschool aged children. Every child deserves the chance to succeed, yet studies show that children from low-income neighborhoods are at a greater risk of school failure. Jumpstart helps these children develop the language and literacy skills they need to be successful in school, setting them on a path to close the achievement gap before it is too late.
During the academic year, Jumpstart members are paired with low-income preschool children at early learning centers and Head Starts in Roxbury to help them build their language, literacy, and social-emotional skills. Through this unique relationship, Jumpstart inspires children to learn, adults to teach, and communities to progress together.
Students work with a team of peers and build skills in coordination, time management, and team collaboration.
By joining Jumpstart, you will:
- Earn your work study award
- Receive an education award of $1,195
- Give your resume a boost
- Use your experience to fulfill CEP and/or Service-Learning requirements (if applicable)
- Meet great people and get involved on campus!
- Become an AmeriCorps Member
Jumpstart members serve approximately 12-15 hours/week for the entire school year. Although some of those hours are flexible, students must be able to fit one of the following session times into both their fall and spring schedule:
- Monday and Thursday from 2:00pm-6:00pm
- Tuesday and Friday from 8:30am-1:30pm
- Tuesday and Friday from 2:00pm-6:00pm