Dear campus and community partners,
As many of you may already know, Northeastern University has decided to transition to online classes beginning Thursday morning. Beyond the transition to online classes, the university remains open and operational. We want to share some updates with our campus and community partners as they pertain to select programs and initiatives in the Office of City and Community Engagement.
- Events at Northeastern Crossing: Events scheduled to take place at Northeastern Crossing have been postponed/cancelled through the end of March.
- Walk-in hours at Northeastern Crossing: Walk-ins are still welcome at Northeastern Crossing until university policy says otherwise.
- Hosting community groups on campus: We are currently unable to host events on behalf of community and neighborhood groups through the remainder of March. Our staff has been in direct contact with organizations that had reservations to cancel/postpone.
- NU|ACES, Husky Volunteer Team, and Jumpstart: If students are choosing to stay on campus, healthy, and their community partner site is open, they are welcome to continue serving if they feel comfortable doing so. Program staff will continue to communicate directly with students and community partners with further details.
- Community-Engaged Teaching and Research/service-learning courses: Due to the transition to online instruction, in-person community engagement/service will be suspended and students will not be required to be on site with partners. Any remote, virtual, or project-based work will be expected to continue as planned. Program staff will continue to communicate directly with faculty, students, and community partners with further details.
- Massachusetts Promise Fellowship: All fellows are expected to follow the policies and procedures outlined by their host organization. In the event that the host site is closed for a period of time, MPF staff should be notified. MPF staff will continue to communicate directly with current fellows and host sites.
- Youth Development Initiative Project (YDIP): YDIP is expected to continue throughout the spring as planned unless there are further changes and updates from Northeastern and Boston Public Schools.
- Individual volunteering: Individual student volunteers should be in frequent and direct communication with their community partner due to the changing nature of the current situation and make a joint decision around continued engagement.
Community partners, as your organizations continue to make decisions about policies and operations, please feel welcome to keep us updated so that we can best support you if possible.
Northeastern officials have been closely monitoring the latest news about COVID-19 and working with public health officials to inform ongoing decisions, so we expect future announcements and are preparing for continuous changes. We encourage members of our network to always refer to official and reliable sources for the most up-to-date information on campus and across the city. Here is a link to Northeastern’s dedicated COVID-19 website.
If you have questions about changes to our current programs and initiatives, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a member of our team.
Office of City and Community Engagement