Employer Engagement and Career Design offers resources and support to graduate students in master’s and doctoral programs throughout the university, with the exception of JD and all MBA & MS business degree candidates who are served by dedicated career centers. Faculty advisors are a crucial source of information and advice, especially for doctoral students seeking academic teaching or research positions.
Our services are available to you for free throughout your lifetime.
We can help you at any point in your experience at Northeastern - there are services and resources to help you:
- Assess interests, personality, skills, and values
- Explore nonacademic careers
- Develop strategies for networking and identifying job search resources
- Create effective cover letters, resumes and CVs
- Sharpen and enhance interviewing skills
- Learn about and meet potential employers
Click here to find upcoming workshops and events.
Resources for your Academic Job Search:
- CV Writing-tips for helping you write a CV
- Learning the lingo for academic job search- from the Chronicle of Higher Education
- How to write a statement of teaching philosophy-from the Chronicle of Higher education
- Writing a research plan-from Science magazine
- Negotiating an academic job offer-from the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Higher Education Faculty Salary Survey
- Higher Ed Jobs-Job search database with over 50,000 positions in higher ed
- Higher Ed 360-Job search database for higher ed also provides information on professional associations, conferences, resources, and other advice and news
- New England Higher Education Research Consortium (HERC)-largest database for higher ed careers in New England.
Resources for your Industry/Non-Academic Job Search
- Imagine PhDA free tool for PhD students and postdocs in the humanities and social sciences
- Versatile PhD The oldest, largest online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs in humanities, social science, and STEM.
- Resume Writing
- Cover Letters
- Informational Interviews
- Attend our Convert Your CV to Resume Workshop. Check our Calendar for details and register!
Funding Resources for Graduate Students/Post-Docs
- Fellowship Opportunities
- Applying for a postdoctoral fellowship from the Chronicle of Higher Education
- National Postdoctoral Association- seeks sustainable change and improvement for the postdoctoral experience through collaboration with all stakeholders. The NPA's key program activities are focused on advocacy and education, resource development and community building