The School of Criminology and Criminal Justice prepares students for professional and research careers in criminal justice, criminology and related fields by applying multidisciplinary and comparative social science to understand, predict and explain crime and contribute to the development of public policy within urban communities. Using an active learning approach, the School seeks to develop its students intellectually and ethically, while providing them with a keen appreciation for the complexities of crime, and public and private efforts to make communities safer and ensure justice.
|Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselor*||Loss Prevention Agent|
|Border Patrol Agent||Mental Health Worker|
|Claims Investigator||Parole Officer|
|Community Outreach Coordinator*||Police Officer|
|Crime Analyst*||Policy Analyst*|
|Criminal Investigator*||Private Security Officer|
|Diagnostic Specialist||Research Assistant|
|Fraud Investigator||Sexual Assault Response Coordinator|
|Gaming Enforcement Officer||Social Worker*|
|Intelligence Analyst*||Surveillance Specialist|
|Internal Revenue Officer||Victims Services Specialist|
|Juvenile Rehabilitation Coordinator||Youth Counselor*|
|Lawyer*||Youth Service Specialist|
Positions that require additional education, training, or licensing are indicated by an (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
|Advocates for Human Potential, Inc.||Criminal History Systems Board|
|Bronx Defenders||Department of Criminal Justice Information Services|
|Council on Crime and Justice||U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
These sample titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
Mental Health Worker
Security Management Intern
Websites for Career Exploration
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- O*NET OnLine
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
- Law Enforcement Careers
- Discover Criminal Justice
Career Development Videos
- Careers in Food Justice
- Careers in Forensics, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
- Careers in Non-Profit, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
- Careers in Public Administration
- Careers in Public Policy, Part 1, Part 2
- Careers in Think Tanks and Other Research Organizations
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations & Activities
- Criminal Justice Student Advisory Council
- Student Government Association
- Northeastern University Legal Argumentation Club
- Alpha Phi Sigma National Criminal Justice Honor Society
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American Corrections Association
- American Society of Criminology
- National Criminal Justice Association
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings, and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.