This guest post was written by Caroline DeBauche, a People Operations Partner at Ping Identity Corporation.
Recognized by Forbes Magazine in 2013 as one of America’s Most Promising Companies, Ping is on the hiring fast track. The talent acquisition team at Ping reviews thousands of applications and interviews hundreds of candidates for only a few positions. So how can you stand out to successful companies who are looking for the best of the best?
1. Create a great resume.
- Use spell check! This may seem obvious but you’d be surprised at how many people have misspelled words on their resume.
- Have at least one other person review your resume. Ask for his/her initial reaction and make improvements.
- Put relevant information first- it’s okay if that’s your education. Your major is more important to recruiters than your babysitting or lawn care job.
- Choose your words wisely. Use powerful action verbs to get to the point as recruiters usually only spend seconds reviewing a resume.
2. Be prepared for the phone interview. When you get called for an interview, make sure to get all the details.
- Ask who you will be interviewing with, request their jobs and titles, and determine who will be making the hiring decision.
- Research, research, research! Start with the company website but don’t end there. Search for recent news, LinkedIn, Glassdoor.com. During your research, write down specific questions about what you found. This will show you did your homework and will set you apart!
3. Nail the onsite interview.
- Show up 5 minutes early, but no earlier! If you arrive earlier, you put pressure on the interviewer to move up their schedule.
- Write down the names and titles of everyone you interview with.
- Focus on what you can do for the organization, not what they can do for you.
- When answering questions, use specific examples from previous jobs or group class projects.
- If you don’t know the answer or something or don’t have the experience, be honest. Then let them know you’d be eager to learn.
- Ask great questions (see below for two examples).
TWO MAGIC QUESTIONS
- What can I do in the first 60 days of my employment with your company that would make the biggest impact to the team?
- What concerns do you have about my background, that you think would prevent me for doing this job?
Remember to be prepared, be persistent and be passionate!
Over 900 companies, including 45 of the Fortune 100, rely on Ping Identity’s award-winning products to make the digital world a better experience for hundreds of millions of people. Ping’s own Gary Derkacz will share his personal experiences crafting solutions that millions of people use each day.
Come learn how Ping Identity protects identity, defends privacy and secures the Internet and provides custom solutions for WalMart, Bank of America, BMW and hundreds of other big-name customers. Register for the NU Tech Talk Tue. 11/19 6:00PM-7:00PM by clicking HERE and/or tweet Ping Identity at @PingIdentity.