We Value Your Experience
Northeastern knows it’s experience that makes the difference. It’s why we work with applicants to determine how we can turn their prior classroom learning and work experience into transfer credit.
We accept transfer credit from different sources, including:
- Northeastern University—Previously earned credit from colleges outside of the Northeastern College of Professional Studies can be applied toward a degree.
- Accredited Institutions—Students can transfer previously earned credits from a regionally accredited institution such as a community college.
- College Level Proficiency Exams—Exam scores can be treated as transfer credit at no fee.
- Assessment of Prior Learning (APL)—An APL review of a student’s work and life experience, including professional certifications, could translate into academic credit.
- Military— As a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), Northeastern is committed to working with veterans and active duty servicemembers to accept any credits previously earned. Active servicemembers can transfer up to 75% of credits required for a bachelor’s degree.
Note: Transfer credits do not count toward a student’s grade point average.
When applying, prospective students should indicate that they plan to use transfer credits and/or if they want APL. Once an applicant is accepted into his or her program of choice, and Northeastern has received all required transfer credit documents, those credits will be evaluated. Transfer Credit will be assessed once the applicant has submitted all official transcripts indicated on their application. The process typically takes up to three weeks, with an additional three weeks for international students whose foreign transcripts need to be evaluated externally.
When the evaluation process is complete, students receive a detailed assessment via email of their transfer credit, including an award letter outlining all of their previously earned credits. Their academic advisor is then notified to create a degree audit, which identifies how the transfer credits were counted toward the degree and the remaining credits needed to complete the degree.
For additional information about transfer credit policies, please visit the College of Professional Studies Undergraduate Catalog or our request information page.