We will be using TurningPoint Student Response System in the classroom. This will allow me to poll you during class and/or conduct quizzes. Your performance on these questions or your participation may be graded and these grades will be sent to the Blackboard gradebook.
You can decide to use either a clicker or software on your phone or your computer over wifi. If you buy a clicker, you’ll still be able to use your phone or your computer to answer questions (the ResponseWare software is included with the clicker purchase), but you should not switch between the software and the hardware clicker in any one class session or your points will not be recorded. You will need to plan on buying one solution or the other and bringing either your clicker or a charged phone or computer or you will not receive grades for these activities. Note that if you have a clicker that you have used before or if you buy a used one, you will still need to follow additional steps to use it.
There are several methods for registration, but only this method will get your grades reported to the gradebook.
- Log into Blackboard: https://blackboard.neu.edu. If you are using a shared computer, clear the cache and make sure it is your account that is logged into Blackboard.
- Go into your course and select Tools.
- Select the Turning Account Registration link. You will be taken to the Turning Account
- Enter your Husky email address and click Create an account. If you already have an account and know your username and password, sign in and skip to step 8.
- Check your email and click the link to verify your Turning Account.
- After verifying your email, enter all required fields as noted by the asterisk on the Profile page. Click Finish.
- If you have your license and/or device, you can enter them in the provided screen. Click Finish and skip to step 9. If not, continue to step 8.
- Click Profile from the menu:
- Important: You should see Blackboard listed in the Learning Management System heading. If not, go back and complete steps 1 through 4.
- If you previously had an account, check the Subscription section to see that the license expiration date is after the expiration date of this course. If your license will last the duration of your course, you don’t need to buy a license. If you aren’t going to use a hardware clicker, you don’t need to do anything else. If you already have a clicker, skip to step 12 to register it. If you need to buy a clicker, continue to step 9 first.
- If you don’t have a license, or if your license will expire before the expiration date of your course, continue to step 9.
- Click the Purchase Subscription button. You should see Northeastern University Student Store on the top of the page.
- Purchase either a Turning Account 1, 2 or 4 year license or a clicker bundle that includes a Turning Account 1, 2 or 4 year license and complete checkout process. The license is automatically added to your account. You can buy a clicker bundle that includes the Turning Account license from the Northeastern bookstore, but you’ll need to enter the license code that comes in the clicker box into the license section—it will not be added automatically. If you are not using a hardware clicker, you don’t need to do anything else.
- If purchasing a clicker, return to your Turning Account after you receive your clicker. View the Response Devices heading.
- Find the Clicker ID field.
- Register your device by entering in the Device ID located on the back of the clicker below the
barcode. This will be a six digit code that uses the numbers 0 – 9 the letters A – F. There will be not letter O’s. Click Add. You will see notification that your clicker is registered.
Before every class, confirm that you know the correct session ID and ensure that you are logged in before you join the session.
On mobile devices, you can keep yourself signed in by following these directions:
- Click on the menu icon in the top left, then click “Sign In.”
- Enter your credentials.
- Press the menu icon in the top left again and click on “Settings.”
- Move the “Keep Me Signed In” to the right so that you see the toggle track turn green.
Before every class, confirm that you know the correct channel number and ensure The instructor will need to use a radio frequency receiver to receive your answers, and you’ll need to be connected to the same channel. Ask the instructor what channel he or she is receiving on, and then change the channel on your clicker:
- Press the “Ch” button.
- Enter the two digit channel number
- Press the “Ch” button again. You should see a green light.
Do not switch between your clicker and your phone or computer within the same classroom session. Your responses will not be recorded.
Still having trouble?