Blackboard is Northeastern’s learning management system. It has an incredible amount of functionality, but it can sometimes be challenging to find the specific features that you’re looking for. Click on the quickguide on the right to see an overview of Blackboard tools and resources.
This page will provide a few resources to help you get started.
For Faculty: Getting your Course up and Running
Below are some tutorials for the most common tasks in Blackboard.
- Students will not be able to see your course listed in their list of courses until you make it available. This tutorial will show you how to make your course available.
- Enabling edit mode in your course
- Navigating in your Blackboard courses
- Uploading your syllabus
- Change your instructor information
- Create an announcement
- Creating content folders and working with different content types
- Using the content editor
- Creating a test/quiz
- Creating a Blackboard assignment
- Using Blackboard’s native inline grading
- Creating a Turnitin assignment
- Adding other instructors to your course
- Using the Blackboard gradebook
- Copy course material
- Printing a course roster
Intermediate Blackboard Functions
- Merging sections into one course
- Using the student journal feature
- Creating a discussion board
- Using the student blog feature
- Using the wiki feature
- Using learning modules
- Creating a mashup (incorporating social media)
- Using rubrics
- Using gradebook smart views
- Item analysis on tests and quizzes
- Using the retention center
- Using the Blackboard mobile app
- Faculty Request Forms
Many other topics are covered in ATS blog posts. You can search our blog in the search field in the top right of this ATS website to search for various topics. Alternatively, you can contact the help desk for immediate assistance. Contact information is provided at the bottom of this page.
Instructor-led training: ATS offers a variety of courses on educational technologies on a recurring basis. Please see our course schedule here. Two courses that focus on Blackboard are Introduction to Blackboard and Blackboard Grade Center.
Other courses will provide help with using third-party apps that are integrated into Blackboard that extend the functionality and the types of activities you can include in Blackboard. For more information on these tools, please view the Teaching Technology section of our website.
Online training: In addition, Lynda offers a complete course on Blackboard Learn. You can search for almost any function and find a related video.
One-on-on training: If you would like to make an appointment to explore Blackboard features and customize your Blackboard course, please email email@example.com to set up a consultation.
Student User Guides and FAQ
- Blackboard Help for Students
- Blackboard Tutorials for Students
- Blackboard Learn On Demand Learning Center
- Blackboard Student Mobile App
- If you access Blackboard at https://blackboard.neu.edu, contact Information Technology Services Northeastern University Blackboard Support
Phone: 617.373.4357 (xHELP)
- If you access Blackboard at https://nuonline.neu.edu, contact Northeastern University Online (College of Professional Studies) Support
- Online MBA students, please contact Online MBA (Embanet Pearson) Support
Support form: http://j.mp/embanet-neu-support