This post shows how to add a Turnitin Assignment to your course in Canvas.
If you are attempting to create an assignment using the Canvas built-in Plagiarism Review feature, please follow the Turnitin Guides.
In this tutorial you will learn how to create a Turnitin assignment with the Canvas External Tool, and how to edit it.
By default, the Turnitin assignment will set the due date a week after the creation date. This can prevent students from submitting an assignment. You must change the dates within the Turnitin settings after you’ve created the assignment.
1. Create a new assignment
In Canvas, go to the Assignments tab and click the + Assignment button.
2. Configure the assignment Submission Type
- Under Submission Type, select External Tool from the drop down menu.
- Click on the Find button to pop up a list of tools.
- Scroll down and select Turnitin and click Select. A URL for Turnitin will appear in the text box.
- Finish editing the assignment settings and click Save or Save & Publish at the bottom.
The Edit Assignment Settings will only edit the Canvas assignment settings, not the settings for the Turnitin Inbox.
3. Now, you must edit the Due Date settings within Turnitin
Click on your assignment to open Turnitin, then click the Settings button.
Make sure the Start Date, Due Date, and Feedback Release Date fields are all correctly filled out to match the Canvas assignment settings.
IMPORTANT! Allow late submissions? – This feature allows late submissions but NOT late re-submissions!
To allow a student who has submitted on time to re-submit, you must extend the Due Date in Turnitin settings.
Find more settings by clicking on the Optional Settings gear, and read a short description of each setting by hovering over the blue question marks.
Click Submit to save the Turnitin due date settings.