Top Hat’s web interface makes it easy for instructors to create and deploy online polls, discussions, quizzes and homework. Students participate with their mobile devices, laptops, netbooks or tablets, via browser or app. Secure integration with Blackboard allows roster and grade synchronization for classroom sessions.
- Top Hat Classroom: Leverage students’ devices to build engagement and get real-time feedback in class through secure attendance, multiple advanced question types, discussions, and a robust gradebook
- Top Hat Assignment: Create and personalize homework to build student comprehension by adding hints & feedback and custom-assigning homework to specific students.
- Top Hat Textbook: Adopt and customize affordable, interactive textbooks, or author your own. Discover interactive textbooks and course content in the Top Hat Marketplace, customize course content to suit your needs, collaborate with peers to improve content while taking advantange of flexible authoring tools + royalties
- Top Hat Test: Securely administer exams and quizzes directly on students’ devices. An algorithm that detects cheating behavior and allows you to auto-grade quizzes and exams. Secure lock-out capabilities ensures your students are always staying honest while using their own devices.
Top Hat is free to instructors.
Student subscriptions are available for $24 per term (4 months), $36 for 1 year, or $72 for lifetime student access.
All Users must have a Top Hat account and an internet connection.
- Create a new instructor account at https://tophat.com/signup#prof_signup_anchor.
- Access your Top Hat classes at https://tophat.com/ using Chrome or Firefox.
- The Top Hat Presentation Tool is an optional download available for desktop presentation.
- For a comprehensive list of features and instructions, visit Top Hat’s feature page.
- Refer to the Account Creation and Payment Tutorial (video) or read the Getting Started Guide for step by step instructions on creating a Top Hat account and activating your subscription.
- Mobile device users can download the Top Hat app for iOS or Android for class access.
- Browser users should open their Top Hat classes at https://tophat.com/ using Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome.
- Clickers are available by request for classrooms with weak Wi-Fi connections.
Training and Support
https://support.tophat.com contains a searchable database of articles, updates and discussions.
Additional support information is available from the bottom left hand corner of the Top Hat user interface. To open a ticket with Top Hat Support, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Someone from the Top Hat team will respond via email as soon as possible.
User Guides and Tutorials
Instructors: Documentation and User Guide
Students: Participant Guide
Authoring with Top Hat
The Presentation Tool