Transfer Applicants

As a valued member of the Northeastern community, transfer students will have the opportunity to be submersed into a diverse, global, and thriving environment. You will explore new opportunities and chart your own path to your degree. We are glad that you are considering Northeastern for the next step in your academic career, and look forward to reviewing your application.

Northeastern considers transfer applications for entry in the fall and spring terms. Please refer to our Deadlines and Decisions page for information regarding our transfer application timeline. Those interested in beginning on campus in September will apply in March, while those interested in a January start will apply in September.

We will not be accepting Fall 2020 applications for the following colleges/programs:

  • Explore Program (undeclared students)

For students applying for Fall 2020 entry: we will be accepting unofficial copies of college transcripts, final high school transcripts, college reports, and mid-term reports due to processing delays related to COVID-19. Official copies of these documents are still preferred. If a student is admitted to the university and decides to enroll, we will need official copies of these documents in order to matriculate to the university in the fall. Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to

Transfer applicants are students who will have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period (after high school completion).

Application Materials

  • Completed Transfer Common Application or Coalition Application.
    • Fall 2020 Applicants: To ensure that your application is reviewed for admission, your application and all required documents should be received by the April 1, 2020 deadline.
  • Application fee of $75
  • Official college transcript(s) for all institutions you have attended
  • College Report (form available through the Common Application and Coalition Application) to be completed by the Registrar Office or Dean of your current/previous school. All sections must be completed in order for your application to be reviewed. If you are having trouble downloading this form from the Common App or Coalition App, feel free to download this form and have your school email it to
  • Evaluation from an academic advisor, professor, or employer (online submission through the Common Application or Coalition Application)
  • Final high school transcript or GED/HiSET score report
  • SAT/ACT scores for applicants who have completed less than one year of full-time college coursework (less than 24 college credits after secondary school graduation) as of the application deadline. This is not required for students who have been out of high school for more than five years or for students who did not complete high school in the U.S.
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST)/Community College of the Air Force transcript for veterans or active duty military
  • Mid-term Report (highly recommended) for students who are currently enrolled in courses. Form available online through the Common Application and Coalition Application. If you are having trouble downloading this form from the Common App or Coalition App, feel free to download this form and email it to
  • Certified Transcript Evaluation by a recognized credentialing agency (highly recommended). For transfer applicants who have earned credits at an international institution, an evaluation is required to process transfer credits after admission to Northeastern. Transcripts should be evaluated by the Center for Educational Documentation or another recognized credentialing agency and the credentialed evaluation must include the following:
    • An indication that the institution is accredited in US terms
    • A course by course credit and grade conversion
Application Info
  • English Proficiency: All students, regardless of citizenship must demonstrate English language proficiency when applying to Northeastern. You can meet the requirement if:
    • You are a native English speaker.
    • You will complete four consecutive academic years before enrolling at Northeastern in a high school or university where native English was the primary instructional language -AND- you submit an English Proficiency Waiver Request through your Application Status Check portal.
    • You submit, along with your application, official test results directly from the testing agency for one of the following English language proficiency tests:
    • Please see the International Students page for more information.
  • Non-U.S. citizen applicants are required to submit the Declaration and Certification of Finances (DCF) form for their application to be considered complete. The Certification of Finances is designed to assist colleges and universities in obtaining complete and accurate information about the funds available to international applicants. As Northeastern is unable to offer state or federally-funded financial support to international applicants, the process of verifying the financial resources of students is essential.
  • Portfolios are required for Studio Art, and are encouraged for majors within the College of Arts, Media and Design. Beginning in Spring 2018, a portfolio is no longer required for Music Technology applicants. Northeastern uses SlideRoom for online portfolio submissions. Visit these pages to learn more details regarding the portfolio requirements for Studio Art and portfolio guidelines for all other CAMD majors.

Additional Information

Download a copy of the Transfer Application Checklist for a comprehensive list of required information.

Transfer credit policies and course equivalencies listed here.

Program Requirements/Recommendations

The courses below outline recommended and required courses for transfer admission Northeastern University. Courses listed as required must be completed or in-progress to be considered for the specific college/program. All other courses are recommended. You may visit our Transfer Equivalency Database to find out if the courses you have taken have been previously evaluated for transfer credit.

For those applying into one of our 130+ combined majors, please review the course information for each individual college or program involved in the combined major. (For example, if you choose to apply to the combined major of Biology and English, please review the transfer requirements for both the College of Science and the College of Social Sciences and Humanities). To learn more about our combined majors, please click here.

College of Arts, Media and Design

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Mathematical Thinking or Calculus
  • Foreign Language (BA students only)

College of Social Sciences and Humanities

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Mathematical Thinking or Calculus
  • Foreign Language (BA students only)

College of Science

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Calculus or higher
  • Natural Science with lab

Khoury College of Computer Sciences

  • Calculus 1 (Required)
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Natural Science with lab

College of Engineering

  • Calculus I (required – level should be for Engineering/Science majors)
  • Physics I (strongly recommended – level should be calculus based)
  • Chemistry I (strongly recommended) 
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)

D’Amore-McKim School of Business

  • Calculus at the college level (strongly recommended)
  • Macroeconomics (BSBA only, strongly recommended)
  • Language (Intermediate level strongly recommended for BSIB)
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Business Statistics
  • Microeconomics

Bouvé College of Health Sciences*

School of Nursing

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111) (strongly recommended)
  • Anatomy & Physiology I & II with labs (strongly recommended)
  • Chemistry with lab (strongly recommended)
  • Microbiology with lab (strongly recommended)
  • Foundations of Psychology (strongly recommended)
  • Nutrition (strongly recommended)
  • Mathematical Thinking (strongly recommended)

Pharmacy (PharmD)**

  • Chemistry I with lab (required)
  • Biology I with lab (required)
  • Chemistry II with lab (strongly recommended)
  • Biology II with lab (strongly recommended)
  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Calculus or higher
  • Foundations of Psychology

Health Science

  • College Writing (equivalent to ENGW 1111)
  • Biology I & II with labs
  • Chemistry I & II with labs
  • Calculus or higher
  • Foundations of Psychology

*Please note that Nursing and Pharmacy (PharmD) students must complete all recommended coursework in order to progress into year 2 of the program’s course sequence
**Visit the School of Pharmacy website for more information about the early assurance pathway for incoming freshman and transfer applicants

Enrollment Checklist

Please view your Application Status Check to view your enrollment checklist and next steps/important dates to note in order to enroll at Northeastern.


  • Submit the non-refundable enrollment deposit by the date indicated on your terms of admission.
  • Pay your enrollment deposit online through your myNortheastern Admitted Student Portal—look for the “Pay my deposit” link on the Self-Service tab.
  • If housing is available and you plan to live on campus, you must also submit your non-refundable housing deposit by the date indicated on your letter of admission.


Housing is neither required nor guaranteed for transfers. If housing is available, you must submit your housing deposit through your myNortheastern portal. Housing is assigned on a first-come, first serve basis.

If housing is unavailable, or if you plan on living off campus, you can use the Off Campus Student Services Office as a resource.

Transfer Credit/MyPaws

  • Your transfer credit evaluation will be made available to you within the next couple of days.
  • To ensure we have the most up to date information, you should forward an updated college transcript with final semester grades
  • If you have completed AP, IB or GCE examinations, request that the results be sent to Northeastern.
  • Participation in dual enrollment programs while in high school may also be considered for transfer credit. You must submit the official college transcript from the institution that hosted courses.


We honor and value your service to the country and look forward to welcoming you to the Northeastern community. Northeastern participates in the Yellow Ribbon and Post 9/11 GI Bill. Members of the Center for the Advancement of Veterans and Servicemembers (CAVS) are able to assist you through the eligibility process. You may contact them at

NU Transfer Organization (NUTSO)

NUTSO provides transfer students with an opportunity to meet one another and participate in social activities while transitioning to Northeastern. If you have questions about transfer and the Northeastern community, you can reach out to NUTSO via email at or via their Facebook page.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is mandatory for all transfer students enrolling at Northeastern. During the daylong New Student Orientation you will meet with your academic advisor to choose classes, as well as other departments such as the Financial Aid, Housing, and Campus Safety departments, who are vital to your success at Northeastern. New Student Orientation information is sent via your Husky email account once you deposit.

Enrollment Information

  • Am I considered a freshman or a transfer student?
    Transfer applicants are students who have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period (after high school graduation).
  • I am receiving an Associate’s degree and high school diploma at the same time. Why can’t I be considered a transfer student? Northeastern’s definition of a transfer student is anyone who will have completed at least one full-time semester of college-level coursework after high school graduation. Students who do not have their high school diploma by the application deadline are not considered transfer applicants. Dual-enrollment courses can be considered for transfer credit.
  • Do I need to submit all official college transcripts even if my transfer credit appears on a transcript?
    Yes, we require students to submit all official college transcripts.
  • How does Northeastern review transfer applications?
    We review all applications holistically and are looking for students who are the best fit for Northeastern. We look closely at the student’s academic coursework and grades, along with extracurricular involvement, including work, clubs, community service, and internships. We value all information, and students should show how they are the best fit for NU and how they will take advantage of the opportunities here.
  • Does the Office of Admission review applications differently for specific majors?
    Each program has recommended and required coursework that we take into account in the review process. Students can view this information in the ‘Program Requirements’ section on the Transfer Credit website.
  • My application is complete. When will I receive my admission decision?
    Students applying for Spring 2020 will receive their admission decision no later than December 1, 2019. Students applying for Fall 2020 will receive their decision no later than June 15, 2020. We do not release decisions on a rolling basis and we will begin reviewing applications after the application deadline.
  • I applied as a transfer student for Fall 2019 and was not offered admission/didn’t attend. Do I need to submit a new application for the Spring/Fall 2020 term?
    Students must submit a new transfer application through the Common Application or Coalition application for each academic term.
  • When will I receive my degree audit?
    Students will receive their official degree audit within one week of admission. To learn more about transfer credit at Northeastern, visit the Transferring Credit website.
  • I studied in a British-patterned education system but did not complete A-level exams, can I apply as a transfer student to Northeastern?
    All enrolling students from British-patterned education systems are expected to present three passing results on full GCE A-Levels (or if exceptional circumstances, 2 passing A-Levels, and 2 passing AS-Levels, taken across four different subjects). In cases where a student is unable to provide either, we will be unable to consider them for transfer until they have successfully completed an Associate’s degree or equivalent number of courses in a Bachelor’s degree-seeking program (64 credit hours). An application can be submitted during the final term in an Associate’s degree program, or typically in the third semester out of four total semesters in a Bachelor’s degree seeking program. A complete college or university transcript will be required, in addition to the Mid-Term Report.
  • I am a veteran/activity duty. Should I apply as a freshman or a transfer student?
    Transfer applicants are students who have completed at least 12 semester hours of college-level coursework (after high school graduation) OR have attempted at least one semester of full-time coursework and maintained enrollment through the add/drop period. Veterans who have not completed any college coursework can apply as freshmen, but they should submit an application based on how they identify. Please reach out to an Admissions Counselor for more information or email
  • I will have completed over 24 credits by the end of this semester. Do I still need to submit my SAT/ACT scores?
    Yes, we require standardized test scores from students who have completed less than one year of full-time college coursework by the October 1 or April 1 deadline. Students who completed high school outside of the U.S., or graduated high school more than 5 years ago, are not required to submit standardized test scores.
  • Do I need to submit my Mid-term report?
    We highly recommend that students submit the Mid-Term Report if they are currently enrolled in classes, but it is not required.
  • Who should I contact if I have questions?
    Transfer students can contact their Admissions Counselor (indicated on the Application Status Check) or email

If you have more questions about Northeastern, please visit our Frequently Asked Admissions Questions page for more information.

Mailing Instructions

We prefer most credentials be submitted online via The Common Application or The Coalition Application or by email to Credentials not submitted online should be mailed to the address below. Official transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope, directly from the institution, or via an electronic exchange.

For application fees, fee waiver requests (being sent separately from the application), FedEx, UPS, or Priority Mail packages:

Mail to:
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions
200 Kerr Hall
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5000 USA

Official transcripts, recommendation letters, and the College Report:

Mail to:
Northeastern University
Application Processing Center
P.O. Box 8210
Portsmouth, NH 03802, USA


Digital Events

Our Digital Events are another way for you to connect directly with Northeastern. Click through the below list register for upcoming events or to view any archived sessions.

Prospective Fall Transfers—On Demand
Prospective Transfer Student Virtual Information Session 1—On Demand
Prospective Transfer Student Virtual Information Session 2—On Demand