Transferring Credit

Transfer credit may be available to students who complete advanced examinations in high school or college-level courses at an accredited higher education institution.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions facilitates the transfer credit process in partnership with Northeastern academic departments. These equivalencies are used as a guide on how classes at your current or former institution can be transferred to Northeastern. While a course may appear in the transfer credit database below, it does not guarantee that it will transfer into your individual major. You must apply and submit your official transcript(s) of coursework completed to our Office of Undergraduate Admissions before a final determination can be made.

Snell Library Stock

P/Passing Grade Policy for Spring and Summer 2020 Semester Courses

Northeastern only considers courses for credit in which a grade of C or higher is earned. Courses taken in a pass/fail format are not considered for credit with the exception highlighted below.

For students interested in joining Northeastern, either as a transfer student or first-year student enrolled in a dual enrollment program, we will consider courses for credit in which a pass grade was earned in the spring and/or summer 2020 semesters. This is an exception to our policy of not accepting courses for credit taken in a pass/fail format and is in response to the burden felt by students newly accessing material in an entirely online format due to COVID-19.

Policy for students entering in the fall or spring semesters of the 2020-21 school year:

  • Northeastern will consider courses in which a P/Passing grade has been earned for course credit
  • The course must be credit bearing from the transferring institution to be considered
  • This will apply to students whose spring and/or summer 2020 semesters have moved to full or partial Pass/Fail grading
  • Students must still complete the transfer credit evaluation process and provide syllabi for those classes not listed in Northeastern’s transfer credit database
  • Classes must have a Northeastern course or elective equivalent in order to be eligible for credit toward graduation requirements
  • Questions may be directed to

COVID-19 Advanced Standing Examination Credit Policies

Advanced Placement (AP)
Northeastern understands the modality in which students will be tested for 2021 AP exams will change due to the circumstances of COVID-19. We will continue to accept scores of 4 and 5 for transfer credit upon receipt of official scores from College Board, regardless of exams being administered in school or taken at home.

International Baccalaureate (IB)
Northeastern understands the basis in which students will be awarded IB Diplomas or Certificates will change for 2021 due to the circumstances of COVID-19. We will continue to accept scores of 5 or higher for Higher Level (HL) results for transfer credit upon receipt of official IB Diplomas or Certificates, regardless of which dual route, written examinations or combination of internal assessment coursework and teacher-predicted grades, are used to issue diplomas or certificates.

General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level
Northeastern understands the basis in which students will be awarded A-Level Certificates will change for 2021 due to the circumstances of COVID-19. We will continue to accept scores of C or higher upon release and receipt of official final certificates, regardless if issued based on written exams or teacher assessment.

Certified Transcript Evaluations

If you are applying as a transfer student from an international university and wish to have courses evaluated for transfer credit after admittance, you will need to provide a certified transcript evaluation completed by a recognized credentialing agency, such as the Center for Educational Documentation (CED), SpanTran, World Education Services (WES), or another recognized credentialing agency and the credentialed evaluation must include the following:

  • An indication that the institution is accredited in US terms
  • A course by course credit and grade conversion

See our transfer credit policy for recognized accrediting bodies. The score and grade required for transfer credit consideration is outlined within the charts. If you do not see a course listed within the database, it means Northeastern academic departments have not evaluated the course before. Admitted students may request an evaluation through the transfer credit evaluation system. Please note you will need to submit the official syllabus, not just the course description, if you wish to have a course evaluated for transfer credit.