Molecular Biology Protocols
Enter WikiBio, for Wanunu Lab members only.
Pyth-IonPyth-Ion is an open source nanopore data analysis package created by Robert Henley for the Wanunu Lab.
Equipment and Facilities
Major equipment in our lab:
- Fluorescence microscope (Olympus IX71 body) with multi-color laser-based wide-field illumination (Coherent) and em-CCD detection (Andor iXon 897)
- Fiber-illuminated inverted fluorescence microscope (Olympus IX81 body) equipped with R+G+B lasers (Coherent) and emCCD detection (Hamamatsu ImagEM)
- Patch-clamp systems for ion-current measurements through nanoporous membranes (Axopatch 200B's, temperature-controlled measurement cells)
- Fast-scanning AFM system (Bruker FastScan and Dimension Icon modules)
- Reactive ion etch system with fluorine and oxygen chemistry (Technics micro-RIE 800)
- Atomic-layer deposition system for conformal thin-film deposition (Arradiance Gemstar)
- UV-vis spectrophotometer with multi-cell temperature control (Varian Cary 100)
- Ellipsometer (Rudolph Research AutoEL III)
- Dynamic and static contact angle meter (home built)
- Mask aligner and full photolithography unit (home built)
- Gel scanner equipped with 3 lasers (Biorad Pharos FX)
- Realtime PCR system (Biorad CFX96 Touch)
On-campus facilities that we use:
- JEOL 2010FEG transmission electron microscope with Gatan Ultrascan 2k x 2k CCD (@ Northeastern's EM Center)
- Electron beam lithography system (Zeiss Supra 25 with NABITY system)
- Kostas facility for micro/nano-fabrication (photolithography, thermal oxidation, metal deposition)
Off-campus facilities that we frequently use:
- Center for Nanoscale Systems, Harvard University
- Center for Nanoscale Fabrication, Cornell University
Our Little Library (books that we have around just in case...)
- Bevington, Philip R., and D. Keith Robinson. Data reduction and error analysis for the physical sciences. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- Mendelson, Mel I. Learning Bio-micro-nanotechnology. CRC Press, 2013.
- Murphy, Douglas B., and Michael W. Davidson. Fundamentals of light microscopy and electronic imaging. John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
- Muthukumar, Murugappan. Polymer translocation. CRC Press, 2011.
- Nelson, Philip. Biological physics. New York: WH Freeman, 2014.
- Phillips, Rob, et al. Physical biology of the cell. New York: Garland Science, 2009.
- Sakmann, Bert, and Erwin Neher, eds. Single-channel recording. New York: Springer, 2009.
- Sambrook, Joseph, David W. Russell, and David W. Russell. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual (3-volume set). Vol. 999. Cold Spring Harbor, New York:: Cold spring harbor laboratory press, 2001.
- Wanunu, Meni, and Yitzhak Tor, eds. Methods for studying nucleic acid/drug interactions. CRC Press, 2011.
- Weiss, T. Fisher. Cellular Biophysics. Vol. 1 and 2. MIT Press, 1996.