Is My Relationship Healthy?
Being part of a healthy relationship can be a wonderful and rewarding experience. But how do you know if your relationship is healthy? Here are some questions you can ask yourself about your relationship to get a sense of whether or not it’s healthy.
- Do you and your partner trust each other?
- Do you feel comfortable spending time away from each other? Does your partner give you space to hang out with friends or go to a party rather than spent time with him or her?
- Do you both contribute to making plans and decision making?
- Do you feel physically safe when with your partner? Do you and your partner talk about problems when they come up?
If you answered YES to these questions, it is likely that you are involved in a healthy relationship. If you answered NO to any of these questions, you may be involved in an unhealthy relationship.
Warning signs of unhealthy relationships
- Acting jealous and demanding
- Criticizing you or calling you names
- Pressuring you to do things
- Controlling what you do, who you hang out with, or what you wear
- Excessive emails/calls/texts/IM’s
- Making verbal or physical threats
- Physically harming partner