If you are currently in a relationship that’s abusive or have been in one previously, please know that it is not your fault and that you are not alone.

There are many people on and off campus ready and waiting to support you when you are ready. Staff at the Sexual Violence Resource Center can help to talk through options as can the counselors from UHCS. DOVE (Domestic Violence Ended) offers a 24-hour crisis hotline- 617-471-1234 or 888-314-3683.

Are you afraid for your safety in this moment?

Call for help. If off campus, call 911. If on campus, call NUPD at 617-373-3333 . Tell the person you are in danger and need help immediately.

Get to a safe space. Find a space where you are safe and away from your partner- a friend’s, a public place, or an office on campus like NUPD.

Are you hurt?

UHCS can provide medical treatment as can any of the local hospitals. If you want to go to a local hospital, NUPD can provide transportation.  They can be reached at 617-373-3333.

Victims of partner violence often suffer head injuries. If you are experiencing memory loss, dizziness, headaches that won’t go away, or problems with eyesight, get medical care immediately.

Do you worry about your safety in the future?

It’s important to start thinking of ways to keep yourself safe, regardless of whether or not you are in a place to end the relationship. One way to do that is to create a safety plan, a guide you put together that helps you to think through how you can be safe on a daily basis.  Counselors or advocates on and off campus or family and friends can help you to talk through it.

Are you considering leaving your partner?

Create a safety plan. Think about safe places and people as well as items you might want to have with you.

Be careful! People who abuse often become more violent when they feel they are losing control. Threats or violence may escalate if they know you are leaving.  Now is a time to reach out for help and support.

How can the university help?

Staff at the university will work to make sure you are safe and supported. There are many ways the university may be able to assist.  Some of these include- placing you in a safe room or helping to facilitate a change in housing, putting a no contact order in place if your partner is a Northeastern student, assisting you in filing a restraining order,  investigating the case through Title IX or assisting you in beginning a criminal investigation, providing counseling, academic accommodations, and medical treatment.

Contact the Sexual Violence Resource Center to explore options.You can also access services through any of the ViSION partners’ offices by contacting them directly. Many community resources offer additional services that may be useful to you as well.