It is not your fault and you are not alone. 

Sexual violence, sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, and stalking are acts of violence not tolerated at Northeastern University. The University recommends that survivors report incidents to NUPD and prosecute the perpetrator in the criminal courts. In cases where the perpetrator is identified as a Northeastern student, the additional option of charging that student under a violation of the Code of Conduct through OSCCR exists. 

The University provides medical, counseling, investigatory, and prosecutorial assistance to any student who reports abuse.

Common Reactions to Experiencing Violence

Information on Student Survivor Rights:

Information on Reporting an Incident: 

Information on Seeking Counseling and Medical Services:

Information Community Resources:

Information on the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion/ Title IX: 

Common Reactions to Experiencing Violence

Traumatic events, like a sexual assault, cause people to react in a variety of ways. Reactions to trauma may vary from person to person but being aware of common reactions can help to individuals understand their experience.

    Common Physical Reactions:

  • Fatigue
  • Rapid heartbeat and breathing
  • Insomnia
  • Headaches
  • Trembling
  • Frequent colds
  • Muscle aches and stiffness

   Common Mental/ Emptional Reactions:

  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Mind racing or going blank
  • Confusion
  • Increased feelings of anxiety, worry, nervousness, anger, impatience, and/ or irritability
  • Sadness, loss of a sense of humor
  • Guilt and unrealistic feelings that we could have done something or more to prevent the trauma
  • Flashbacks, preoccupation and nightmare of the incident

    Behavioral Reactions: 

  • Sleeping too much or too little
  • Pacing
  • Increased or decreased eating
  • Nervous habits- nail biting, foot tapping
  • Increased use of substances-alcohol or other drugs
  • Avoidance of work or spending time with friends

Back to top

Students who experience abuse have the right to:

Back to top

Reporting an Incident:

Anyone who has experienced, or is aware of, a sexual assault or relationship violence is strongly urged to make an official report with the police or seek other appropriate help. The incident should also be reported to the Title IX Coordinator. Taking action can help to...

  • Ensure your safety
  • Begin your healing process
  • Obtain any necessary academic accomodations

The NU Police Department has male and female officers trained in sexual assault investigation. NUPD can provide survivors with full investigations of the incident, as well as medical transportation and no-contact orders if neccessary. 

Visit the following websites to find more information about reporting an incident with the NU Police Department.

Visit the following website to find more information about reporting an incident with the Boston Police Department. 

Back to top

Seeking Counseling and Medical Services:

The University Health and Counseling Services offers urgent medical and counseling appointments to all students. 

Students who have been affected by rape or sexual assault often experience a variety of reactions including depression, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating. Therapists are available at UHCS to provide support, help explore options, and identify coping strategies following a trauma. If you are interested in making an appointment, please call UHCS at (617) 373-2772 and ask to make a Mental Health Assessment appointment.

UHCS can also provide medical services including assessment and treatment of physical injuries; pregnancy assessment and prevention; and evaluation, treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted infections. 

Visit UHCS's website for information on counseling and medical servives:

Back to top

Community Resources:

Survivors may choose to seek services outside of the Northeastern community after experiencing abuse or sexual violence. 

The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center can provide survivors with:

  • Medical Advocacy, including information on what hospitals to seek services at, when to go to the hospital and what to expect at the hospital
  • Legal Advocacy
  • 24-hour hotline, with specially trained and experienced rape crisis counselors

Casa Myrna Vasquez can provide survivors of domestic abuse and/ or dating violence with:

Fenway Community Health has a Violence Recovery Program offering:

The Network La Reda survivor led organization working to end LGBTQ partner abuse, provides:

Asian Task Force Against Domestic Violence offers:

Back to top