(567 Lake Hall)
Boston, MA 02115
Office: 536 Nightingale Hall
Office Phone: 1-617-373-5232
I am a Zelevinsky Research Instructor (formerly Postdoctoral Teaching Associate) in the Mathematics department at Northeastern University (Boston, MA), working with Professors Gordana Todorov and Alexander Martsinkovsky. I am finishing my postdoc at Northeastern and currently on this year’s job market.
I received my Ph.D. in Mathematics from Texas A&M University in August 2014. My thesis advisor is Professor Sarah Witherspoon. Please see Research tab for my scholarly activities.
I was born in Vietnam and came to the U.S. during high school. I basically spent half of my teenage years growing up in Vietnam and half in the U.S., which makes it difficult to answer the “Where are you from?” question. I call San Diego my home city where my family still resides and I visit often. However, I also love exploring different places/climates/cultures and that explains my cross-country moves from San Diego-to Texas-to Boston. My non-math hobbies include cooking, hiking, coffee-shop hopping, traveling and reading. I love food and love to try/cook various cuisines. It is my favorite way to expose to different cultures, people, and backgrounds; and it goes very well with my travel interest.
I also am the faculty advisor for the Northeastern Math Club, see Service & Outreach tab for current club’s events. I’d love to share ideas for undergraduate outreach and Math club activities. Students who are interested in taking the Putnam Math Competition (which is held on Saturday December 3, 2016) should contact me for more information.
- Homological algebra
- (finite dimensional) Hopf algebras
- Representation theory of finite dimensional algebras
- Ph.D., Mathematics, Texas A&M University, August 2014
- B.A., Mathematics, University of California, San Diego, June 2008
- B.S., Management Science, University of California, San Diego, June 2008
- MAA Project NExT Fellow, Red ’15
- 2015 AMS-Simons Travel Grant (2015-2017)
- Ethel Ashworth-Tsutsui Memorial Award for Research (Nov. 2013)
- 2013 L. F. Guseman Prize in Mathematics (April 2013)