Implications of MLOA
- Grades for semester/quarter: Students on a MLOA receive all “W” (withdrawal) on their transcript for the semester/quarter.
- Tuition Credit: The University’s leave policy states that all tuition charged for the term in which the leave has been granted will be held by the University and applied toward future tuition charges in the same academic program. Outstanding balances (including unpaid balances) for the academic term in which the leave is taken are still due to the University. For more information, contact the Student Accounts office at (617) 373-2270 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Loans and Repayment: Please review the Student Financial Services' policy on Withdrawl/Leave of Absence. Financial aid recipients must contact their financial aid counselor to understand the effects on aid received.
- Access on campus: Students on a MLOA will no longer have Husky Card access to the Marino Center, libraries, dining services, residence halls, etc. Students are not to be participating in student groups while on medical leave.
- On-campus housing: Once a MLOA is approved, students are asked to leave the residence halls within 24-48 hours. Students must check out with their residence director before leaving.
- VISA status: All international students on a MLOA should speak with the International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI). Specific information about the implications of leave of absence, and/or withdrawal is posted on the ISSI status webpage.
- Health Plan: Students enrolled in the Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP) will remain enrolled in the plan through August 31st of the academic year. Students who had coverage under NUSHP after March 31st are eligible to purchase one more year of coverage if their leave extends into the fall of a new school year. For more information contact the insurance coordinator at email@example.com or (617) 373-8007.