Italy: Italian Language and Culture – CLOSED
- Summer 1 Semester - May 3 - June 4 , 2014 ( dates subject to change)
- Summer 1 Semester - Priority Deadline: November 15, 2013
Priority deadline is November 15th with a final deadline of January 26th. Program accepting applications until filled and is subject to close at any time.
Faculty Leader: Prof. Alessio Tognetti (email@example.com)
Study Abroad Coordinator: Katie Rabbitt Burke (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Friday, November 8th at 1:00 p.m. in 273 Ryder
Tuesday, November 12th at 1:00 p.m. in 273 Ryder
Term: Summer I
- ITLN2301/2302/3301/3302 Italian Language Immersion
- CLTR4944 Cultural Engagement Abroad
Have you been in Italy before ? Had a great time, but came back feeling like deep down you never really left the US? You are not alone. That is what our Dialogue of Civilization is tailored for. During this 1 month program you will not only get to follow intensive language and culture courses, but you will get to experience the true “secret life” of Italy, the one that you do not get to see on tv or in movies. Our program main location, Mantova is uniquely suited for this task: Mantova is a small but rich city, it numbers only 50,000 inhabitants, but it has all the comfort of a larger metropolis: restaurants, museums, bars, café, internet etc. Despite its modernity, Mantova still maintains extremely close ties to its cultural past, and for a city that is 4000 years old , there is lots of that . This unique blend will allow for one of the best cultural and linguistic immersion: the kind that provide authenticity without compromising safety or comfort.
The experience will be 4 fold: 1 = intensive Italian courses 5 days a week 5 hours per day. 2 = Culture class 3 days a week 2 hours per day. 3 = Field trip and exploration. Every weekend using Mantova as our home base we will explore the territory of northern Italy , from Romeo & Giulietta Verona, to the lakes and the alps. 4 = free time, this is where you, the student, has the opportunity to get their feet wet in the culture and language.
ITLN2301/2302/3301/3302 Italian Language Immersion
CLTR4944 Cultural Engagement Abroad
Our host school was founded in 1975 and has always dealt with foreign languages. At the beginning it was a state-recognized private linguistic liceo and now it has become a University for Linguistic Mediators which awards a qualification, equivalent to all legal effects to a three-year university degree.
Our school is also University Linguistic Centre (CLAM) since 2003 and therefore it plans language courses for the students attending the universities in Brescia, Pavia and the Politecnico in Milan. It was also enabled to give the opportunity to take the Cambridge University examinations and it is recognized centre for TOEFL exams (Internet based test).
Oxford Mantova activities include also translations and interpreting services, conference equipment renting, school and university classes and study tours abroad.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Applicants must have completed 2 semesters at Northeastern.
- This is a LANGUAGE dialogue, 2 semesters in the target language are required to participate. Or Instructor permission.
- Online Dialogue of Civilizations application (available on OISP website and myNEU)
- $500 non-refundable program deposit paid through NUPay.* Be sure to select the appropriate summer term.**
- One copy of passport ID page – to be given directly to your faculty leader after acceptance.
- 2-3 page essay answering the following questions (copy and pasted into online application):
- What are your personal and academic reasons for wishing to participate in this Dialogue of Civilizations program?
- How will the program further your academic and career goals?
- What is your previous travel and language experience, if any?
- What courses have you taken which are directly relevant to the program?
*If you are not accepted into your Dialogue program, the $500 deposit will be credited to your student account.
**Applications are not considered complete until deposit is received. This deposit will be applied to the full cost of the program.
**Faculty may require additional information and/or interview (after application deadline)Schedule Appointment →
Tuition and DOC Fee cover 8 Northeastern credits, round-trip airfare from Boston, housing for program duration, International SOS assistance, as well as some local transport, excursions and group meals.
All students will reside in the “city of Mantova” sponsored Studentato. The Studentato is essentially a hybrid between dorms and private apartments. The students generally are split in groups of two, each is assigned a “unite”; the unite will have a kitchen, living room, bathroom and either 2 separate bedrooms or one double.
The provincial capital Mantua, former residence of the Gonzaga family, lies south of Lake Garda in the Po plain on the lower course of the Mincino, which here forms a marshy lake divided into three parts: Lago Superiore, Lago di Mezzo and Lago Inferiore. Situated between the beautiful Verona and Bologna, The town is still surrounded by a ring of walls and bastions. Today it is a relatively prosperous industrial town.