ALICANTE: CIEE – Universidad de Alicante
- Fall Semester - Liberal Arts (Late August - Late December); Language and Culture (Late August - Late December); Language in Context (Late August - Late December)
- Spring Semester - Liberal Arts: Mid January - Mid June ; Language in Context: Mid January - Mid May
- Summer 1 Semester - exact dates TBD
- Fall Semester - March 1
- Spring Semester - October 1
- Summer 1 Semester - March 1
Study Abroad Coordinator: Colleen Boyle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
These programs are for students at the beginning and intermediate Spanish language levels. Students may choose to study on one of three study abroad programs at the University of Alicante. Courses are taught in either English or Spanish depending on your language ability.
Language in Context
Begin your study of Spanish in this beautiful Mediterranean city and earn credit for content classes taught in English. The goal of this program is to provide beginning-level students with a solid foundation in the Spanish language. The program allows participants to improve language skills while pursuing studies focusing on Spanish and Europe through topics such as history, art history, political science, and international business. This goal is achieved through intensive language coursework, area studies courses in English, a conversation exchange program, excursions, and homestays for participants.
- Fall/Spring Semester:Students participating in this program are required to take five courses. Students will be charged Northeastern undergraduate tuition for 16 credits. Should a student decide to transfer back a fifth course, he or she will then be charged an overload fee as defined on the Northeastern University Registrar’s website. Please note: See Cost section for additional Study Abroad fees.
- Summer: Students will take two classes and receive 8 NU credits.
If you are interested in enrolling in a course not in our database, please send this course for evaluation.
Alicante is one of Spain's newest universities, although its architecture maintains a traditional Mediterranean-style. The University offers a new sports complex for its 30,000 students. There are also numerous cultural events organized by the University and city of Alicante.
Full-time Northeastern student, 2.75 GPA, and sophomore or above.
- Online OISP application
- CIEE Application Forms
- Official Transcript
- Home School Nomination forms will be completed online (Completed by your OISP advisors).
- Passport photos will be uploaded by students as electronic files in to our online application.
- Personal Statement
- One evaluation. If a program has a language prerequisite, the evaluation must be a language evaluation. The CIEE online application will prompt students and will send an email to their evaluator to as
- Photocopy of Passport ID Page
Fall 2013 or Spring 2014: $20,490
Includes: Northeastern University (NU) tuition for 16 NU credits ($20,390), and 24/7 worldwide emergency assistance ($100). Please note that this program requires students to take five courses. Should students choose to transfer back the fifth course, the student will be liable for an additional 4 credit overload fee ($5,100). Students are responsible for all other expenses, including housing and other non-academic costs for which they will be billed directly by the program provider or host institution. Students are also responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flights.
Summer 1 2013: $9,930
Includes: Northeastern University (NU) tuition for 8 NU credits ($9,830), and 24/7 worldwide emergency assistance ($100). Students are responsible for all other expenses, including housing and other non-academic costs for which they will be billed directly by the program provider or host institution. Students are also responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flights.
Depending on the program, students live in Spanish-speaking private homes or in off-campus residencias with international and Spanish students. Students living in a homestay take all meals in the home. Only one student is housed in each home.
With a population approaching 350,000, Alicante is a thriving Spanish city. Located on the Mediterranean coast, Alicante is an inviting place for students to begin their exploration of Spain or continue a previous journey. In recent times, Alicante has experienced a development boom and rapid population growth. Students will see modern architecture and Internet caf+