Multiple Locations: Chinese Language and Culture (Summer 2) (Closed)
- Summer 2 Semester - July 2 - August 9, 2013
- Summer 2 Semester - Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and program may fill at any time. Final deadline – January 24.
Info session: Tuesday, Nov 6th, 6pm, Ryder Hall 277
Please RSVP to this event by emailing email@example.com
Faculty: Prof. Qinghong Cai (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Study Abroad Coordinator: Daisy Biddle (email@example.com)
The Summer II China Dialogue program that takes place in 3 exciting Chinese cities offers intensive and immersive Chinese language training including practical introduction to Chinese history, culture and businesses.
Students who enrolled in this program will spend 34 days in Kunming, China; 3 days in Taipei, Taiwan and 2 days in Hong Kong, SAR of China. Both Hong Kong and Taipei are famous international cities known as two of the four Asian little dragons in East Asia for its economic successes. Hence, students will have the opportunity to experience Chinese culture as a whole in 3 distinctively different regions either developed or developing with each of their own unique governmental structures and different Chinese culture variations as well as customs within this one program.
This program will be based in the Chinese Language Center of Yunnan University, situated in Kunming, which is also known as “City of Eternal Spring”, famous for its perpetual spring like weather with blooms and lush vegetation all year round. It will certainly offer you a not so typical summer.
Participating students will be offered with 100 hours of practical Chinese classes (equivalence to one semester Chinese course in NEU including CHNS 1101), which is 4 hours per weekday, and 50 hours of cultural classes, which is 2 hours per weekday. In addition, each student will be accompanied by a Mandarin native speaker as a language partner whose major is teaching Mandarin Chinese as a foreign language, throughout their 34-day stay in Kunming except during class lessons. They will have lots of opportunities to interact in depth and practice their Chinese with their language partners.
The 2-hour per weekday cultural classes in this program offers interesting introduction to one of the oldest and most complex culture in the world. This includes activities such as Introduction to Chinese Martial Arts, Calligraphy, Chinese Paintings, Chinese Tea Ceremony, Chinese songs and so on. We also provide optional workshops, such as Chinese Business language and culture workshop, HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) workshop, and etc.
Kunming’s average highs are around 75 °F in summer, thus Kunming is the most favorable city weather-wise during summer time in China.
Besides the 150 hours of practical Chinese and Cultural lessons mentioned above, during weekends (per program schedule), you will get to visit nature wonders and historical sites such as Stone Forest, Dianchi Lake, and Minority Ethnic Villages, Western Hill and Yun Tong Temple. You will also get to make cultural and business field trips to Yunnan Chinese Medicinal Hospital, Kunming Steel Factory, Yunnan Cigarette Factory and Yunnan Buddhism Institute. In addition, there will be an organized 3-day tour to Lijiang/Shangri-La(Qinghai-Tibet Plateau).
In this program, we may also arrange additional post-dialogue trips to Shanghai. These trips will present opportunities for students to test and practice their Chinese after 34 days of intensive Chinese lessons in Kunming.
You are welcome to access Summer II China Dialogue Presentation on YouTube via: http://www.youtube.com/user/NEUChinaDialogue#p/u
- CHNS 1301/1302/2301/2302/3301/3302 Chinese Language Immersion (students will need to be placed in language)
- CLTR4944 Dialogue of Civilizations: Regional Engagement
This program is based in the Chinese Language Center of Yunnan University, situated in Kunming, which is also known as “City of Eternal Spring”, famous for its perpetual spring like weather with blooms and lush vegetation all year round. It will certainly offer you a not so typical summer.
2.5 GPA, have completed two academic semesters at NU, and be in good standing.
- Online Dialogue of Civilizations application (available on OISP website)
- Unofficial transcript which you can download and print from MyNEU
- One copy of passport ID page – To be given directly to your faculty leader after acceptance.
- 2-3 page essay answering the following questions:
- What are your personal and academic reasons for wishing to participate in this Dialogue of Civilizations program?
- How will the program further your academic and career goals?
- What is your previous travel and language experience, if any?
- What courses have you taken which are directly relevant to the program?
**Faculty may require additional information and/or interview (after application deadline)
**Please note that prior to 11/15/12 your unofficial transcript and essay should be handed in to OISP. After 11/15/12, please send them directly to your faculty leaderSchedule Appointment →
DOC Fee: $2,000
Tuition and DOC Fee cover 8 Northeastern credits, round-trip airfare from Boston, housing for program duration, International SOS assistance, as well as some local transport, excursions and group meals.
Standard double rooms in hotels and well-operated international student campus hotel. Students will be staying at hotels in Taipei and Hongkong, and in a campus hotel (daily toiletries & cleaning service included) for most of the time at Yunnan University.
- Hong Kong and Taipei are famous international cities known as two of the four Asian little dragons in East Asia for its economic successes
- Yunnan University, situated in Kunming, which is also known as “City of Eternal Spring”, famous for its perpetual spring like weather with blooms and lush vegetation all year round. It will certainly offer you a not so typical summer.
- The Shangri-La/Lijiang Scenic Region consists of some areas of Lijiang Prefectures, situated on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau; it is one of the largest and the most promising scenic region in China, with the most wonderful sights, the most mysterious and richest ethic cultures.