SAN JOSE: API – Multiple Universities
San Jose, Costa Rica
- Fall Semester - Late August or September to mid-December (Veritas), Early August - November (UCR)
- Spring Semester - January 6 - March 31, 2012 (Veritas), Late February - Late June (UCR)
- Summer 2 Semester - Early July - Early August
- Fall Semester - March 1
- Spring Semester - October 1
- Summer 2 Semester - March 1
Study Abroad Coordinator: Daisy Biddle (email@example.com)
Students attending API programs in San Jose can study at either Universidad Veritas or the University of Costa Rica. Courses and program eligibility vary by program.
*Early start program not an option.
- Intensive Language: Students will receive 16 NU credits (12 credits for the three language classes + 4 credits for the elective course). Spring and fall only.
- Language and Culture: Students will receive 16 NU credits (4 credits for the language class + 12 credits for the three elective courses). Spring and fall only.
- Spanish Language, Business, and Liberal Arts: Students will take four classes and receive 16 NU credits. Spring and fall only.
Summer 2 Universidad Veritas:
- Students will take one Spanish language class and one elective.
If you are interested in enrolling in a course not in our database, please send this course for evaluation.
Universidad Veritas: Founded in 1991, Universidad Veritas is a private university that prides itself on the development of non-linear critical thought and creativity. The university’s mission statement emphasizes the student’s active participation in the learning process; every student is expected to play the role of protagonist in his/her own academic development. Approximately 1,700 students attend the university in any given semester. Operating programs for international students since 1993, the Universidad Veritas offers an incredible amount of academic options. Students may select Spanish language courses from the beginning to advanced levels, complete a multitude of elective coursework in Spanish or English, or enroll in art, design and architecture courses with local Costa Rican students. Students also have full access to university amenities, including extracurricular activities such as dance classes, conversation partners, volunteer work and cooking lessons. University of Costa Rica: Students in San José can study at the Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR ), located two miles from downtown San José in San Pedro. UCR is recognized nationally and internationally for its superior academic achievements and is the oldest university in the country. More than 30,000 students attend the university, which includes a large international student population. The nation’s respect for the environment is apparent on the campus. Lush green areas give students peaceful places to gather, socialize and study. San Pedro is a lively area during the day and night, characterized primarily by the university community. Bookstores, shopping, coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment centers all abound in the campus area.
- 2 completed terms at NU, one of which may be a summer term
- GPA of at least 2.75 (Veritas)
- GPA of at least 3.0 (UCR)
- Transfer students and spring admits, please contact OISP for eligibility
- Open to all language levels
- Online OISP application
- API Application Forms
Please submit the following directly to OISP:
- Official Transcript
- University Contact Information Form (available once API online application completed)
- Photocopy of Passport ID Page
- Letter of Recommendation
- Students must pay the $150 application fee (due upon submission of the application) and the $400 confirmation payment (due approximately 2 weeks after acceptance) directly to API. These payments will then be applied to the total cost of program lodging and insurance. These payments are necessary to guarantee your commitment and place on the program.
Fall 2014 or Spring 2015: $21,367
Includes: Northeastern University (NU) tuition for 16 NU credits ($21,267), and 24/7 worldwide emergency assistance ($100). Students are responsible for all other expenses, including housing and other non-academic costs for which they will be billed directly by the program provider or host institution. Students are also responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flights.
Students will stay with host families. Two meals per day and laundry once per week are included in the housing fee paid directly to API by the student.
Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.