As you prepare for study abroad, you and your parents may have questions about the cost. You'll find the cost of each program and what is included at the bottom of each program fact sheet. You should speak with your financial aid advisor if you have any questions about your financial aid package. You can find more information in the Study Abroad Manual.
Pricing and Billing for Traditional Study Abroad Programs
To view which traditional study abroad costs will be covered by Northeastern and which are the responsibility of the student, please see our Pricing and Billing Information.
Should you choose to withdraw from a program, please see our Withdrawal and Billing Information.
Study Abroad Scholarships
- The Exchange Programs Scholarship In an effort to strengthen our partnerships with our exchange partners, we will offer three $3,500 scholarships for students applying to study at one of the institutions with which Northeastern has an exchange agreement. These scholarships are open to all students in good academic standing who meet eligibility requirements for study at one of our exchange partner institutions. For a list of these universities, please visit our Incoming Exchange page. Deadline: Spring 2015 deadline - October 1, 2014. Apply here!
- Beijing Institute of Technology Scholarship All applicants to the Beijing Institute of Technology will be considered for a scholarship to help defer the majority of costs related to housing and medical insurance and some costs for transportation and food while in Beijing!
- The Spring 2014 BUTEX Scholarship This scholarship (500 British Pounds) is open to all students who meet eligibility requirements and have been accepted to any of OISP's approved programs affiliated with BUTEX. These include: City University of London, University of Edinburgh, Goldsmiths, LSE, Queen Mary University London, Queen's University Belfast, and SOAS. Deadline: December 1, 2013
- The International Center for Development Studies will be offering five $500 scholarships to be used toward housing. Contact ICDS directly for scholarship application information.
Dialogue of Civilizations Scholarships
The OISP will award $2,500 to selected students participating in Summer 2014 DOC programs. The OISP will work closely with Financial Aid to determine appropriate candidates, as funds will be awarded on the basis of financial need. Please note there is no application process.
- Bridging Scholarships (Study abroad in Japan only)
- Assoc. of Teachers of Japanese: Study abroad in Japan
- The BUTEX Scholarship (UK)
- LIVFund Scholarship (Study in Latin America)
- Dr. Ina Stegen Scholarship (Study at Salzburg College-Austria)
- Study in China (Multiple Scholarship Opportunities-Study Abroad in China only)
Nationally Competitive Fellowships & Scholarships
Below is a list of nationally competitive fellowships & scholarships provided by the Northeastern campus office in charge of supporting and managing applications for nationally and internationally competitive fellowships and scholarships.
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship
Grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad
- DAAD Scholarship Study in Germany
Scholarships, grants, and fellowships in Germany for US and Canadian citizens, from undergraduate students to post-doctoral scholars as well as faculty and higher education professionals
- Fulbright Scholarships
A year abroad engaged in study/research or teaching English
- NSEP Boren Scholarships and Fellowships
Boren Scholarships promote long term linguistic and cultural immersion
General Study Abroad Scholarships & Loans
- NU Financial Aid
- Institute for International Education - Study Abroad Funding Database
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Rainbow Scholarship
- Sally Whitcher Award
- University of Minnesota Scholarship Database
- Gilman Scholarship
- BASAA Scholarship for underrepresented students
- Goabroad.com Scholarship Database
- Studyabroad.com Scholarship Database
- Student Guide to Financial Aid
- Worldwide Study Abroad Directory
- College Board Scholarship Database
- Financial Aid from the U.S. Department of Education
- Rotary International
- Study Abroad Funding
- All Abroad (Scholarships)
- Phi Kappa Phi (Grants)
- International Scholarships
- Diversity Abroad
- General Federation of Women's Clubs of Massachusetts
- CIEE Scholarships - only for use on CIEE programs
- Additional Scholarships
Federal Rules regarding Duration of Study Abroad
Students receiving federal financial aid should be aware that there are some restrictions on the number of semesters, or course credits, for study abroad that can be counted toward a degree program. These restrictions apply to study at a foreign institution in our traditional study abroad and exchange programs, but not to our faculty-led programs, such as the Dialogue of Civilizations.
While students may use federal financial aid for study abroad and exchange programs, federal regulations limit students receiving federal financial aid to no more than two semesters of study abroad or exchange at participating foreign universities or programs. Generally, this means that you may study abroad at more than one foreign university or program, but may not transfer more than two semesters of study abroad or exchange credit to Northeastern University. Federal regulations mandate that no more than 25% of a student’s educational program or coursework be provided by a foreign university. All credit from all foreign institutions accepted as credit toward the degree is counted in this two semester limit.
If you are unsure of your federal aid status, please consult with your financial aid advisor.