Areas of Research/Interest:
• Qualitative Methods
• Social Psychology
• Human-Animal Relationships
Beauty and the Beast: Human-Animal Relations Revealed in Real Photo Postcards, 1905-1935 (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 2010) with Robert Bogdan.
Inside Animal Hoarding: The Barbara Erickson Case (Layfayette, IN: Purdue University Press, 2009) with C. Killeen.
Between the Species: Readings in Human-Animal Relationships (Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2008) with Clinton Sanders.
Just a Dog: Understanding and Using Animal Cruelty (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2006).
The Sacrifice: How Scientific Experiments Transform Animals and People (West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press, 2006) with L. Birke and M. Michaels.
Brute Force: Animal Police and the Challenge of Cruelty (West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University Press, 2004).
Great Apes and Humans: The Ethics of Coexistence (Washington, DC: Smithosonian Institution Press, 2001) with B. Beck et al.
Regarding Animals (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1996) with Clinton Sanders.
• Senior Scholar, Center for Animals and Public Policy, Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine (1998 to present)
• Founding Co-Editor and Board Member, Society and Animals (1993 to present)
• Board Member, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare (2002 to present)
• Board Member, Anthrozoos (1994 to 2006)
• Founding Co-Editor, Animals, Culture and Society series, Temple University Press (1996 to present)
• Distinguished Scholarship Award, Animals and Society Section, ASA, 2009
• MSPCA Human Hero Award for Research, 2004
• Distinguished Scholar Award, International Association of Human-Animal Interaction, 1998
• Charles Horton Cooley Book Award, Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, 1997
Courses Taught Undergraduate:
• SOCL 1101 Introduction to Sociology | SOCL 1101 syllabi
• SOCL 2323 Ethnographic Methods