Areas of Research/Interest:
• Sociology of Gender
• Gender, Medicine, and the Body
• Work and Family
• Feminist Theory
• Sociological Theory
• Qualitative and Ethnographic Methods
Raising Generation Rx: Mothering Kids with Invisible Disabilities in an Age of Inequality. In press, New York University Press (February 2015).
At the Breast: Ideologies of Breastfeeding and Motherhood in the Contemporary United States. Boston: Beacon Press, 1999.
Between Feminism and Labor: The Signifinance of the Comparable Worth Movement. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991.
- Japanese edition, Ochanomizu Press, 1996.
2011. “‘Not Some Big, Huge, Racial-Type Thing, But…:’ Mothering Children of Color with Invisible Disabilities in the Age of Neuroscience.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 36, 4: 941-967.
- 2013 Honorable Mention, Distinguished Article Award, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association.
2011. Organized, edited, and introduced: Symposium on Surrogacy, Past and Present Feminist Debates, on Surrogate Motherhood and the Politics of Reproduction by Susan Markens. Sociological Forum 26, 1: 194-208. (With M. Sullivan, E. Teman, B. Katz Rothman, S.Markens.)
2009. Linda M. Blum and Jennifer J. Esala. “Breastfeeding.” Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development Ed. D. Carr. Vol 1: 64-68. (Detroit: Macmillan Reference, Gale Virtual Reference Library, 2009). To be reprinted in Gendered Bodies, 2nd ed., Judith Lorber and Lisa Jean Moore, eds. (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming).
- 2010. Reprinted in Gendered Bodies, 2nd ed., Judith Lorber and Lisa Jean Moore, eds. Oxford University Press.
2007. “Mother-Blame in the Prozac Nation: Raising Kids with Invisible Disabilities.” Gender & Society 21.2: 202-226 (2007).
- 2012. Featured on Sociological Images, The Society Pages website. July 2, Lisa Wade.
<h3>Selected Media-Public Sociology:</h3>
2012 Interview, Sarah Springer, “Can There Be an All-American Beauty?” CNN.com April.
2012 Featured in Elizabeth Badinter, “The Tyranny of Breast-feeding.” Harper’s Magazine, March.
2012 Interview, Amelia Pak-Harvey, “Universities Across Nation Discuss Plans Against Sexual Assault. Daily Free Press, Boston University, March.
2012 Inteview, Claire Gordon, Huffington Post, revival of wet-nursing as an occupation, January.
2010 Featured Segment, Kate Raphael, KPFA Radio Women’s Magazine, http://kpfawomensmag.blogspot.com – Women office workers two decades after Between Feminism and Labor, April 12.
• Chair of the Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2008-2009)
• Member, Martin Levine Dissertation Award Committee, American Sociological Association (2008)
• Elected Chair, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2007-2008)
• Chair-Elect (elected, serve on Council), Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2006-2007)
• Editorial Board, Gender & Society (2003-2005, 2006-2008)
• Member, Rose Laub Coser Dissertation Award Committee, Eastern Sociological Society (2002-2003)
• Chair, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award Committee, Sociologists for Women in Society (2000-2002) Member, Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2000)
• Newsletter Coeditor, Society of Institute Fellows, the Bunting Program, Radcliffe Institute (1999)
Courses Taught Undergraduate:
SOCL 2300 Social Theory | Syllabi
Courses Taught Graduate:
SOCL 7200 Classical Theory | Syllabus
SOCL 7256 Concentration Foundation Course: Sociology of Gender | Syllabus