Areas of Research/Interest:
• Sociology of Gender
• Gender, Medicine, and the Body
• Work and Labor
• Feminist Theory
• Sociological Theory
• Qualitative and Ethnographic Methods
Linda Blum. “‘Not Some Big, Huge, Racial-Type Thing, But…:’ Mothering Children of Color with Invisible Disabilities in the Age of Neuroscience.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 36, 4 (Summer 2011).
Linda Blum. Organized, edited, and introduced: Symposium on Surrogacy, Past and Present Feminist Debates, on Surrogate Motherhood and the Politics of Reproduction by Susan Markens. Sociological Forum 26, 1:194-208 (2011).
Linda M. Blum and Jennifer J. Esala. “Breastfeeding.” Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development Ed. D. Carr. Vol 1: 64-68. (Detroit: Macmillan Reference, Gale Virtual Reference Library, 2009). To be reprinted in Gendered Bodies, 2nd ed., Judith Lorber and Lisa Jean Moore, eds. (Oxford University Press, Forthcoming).
Linda Blum. “Mother-Blame in the Prozac Nation: Raising Kids with Invisible Disabilities.” Gender & Society 21.2: 202-226 (2007).
Linda Blum. At the Breast: Ideologies of Breastfeeding and Motherhood in the Contemporary United States. (Boston: Beacon Press, 1999). Chapter Two (edited), “From to Disembodied Motherhood” in Sociology of the Body, Malacrida and Low, eds. (Oxford University Press, 2008).
Linda Blum. “Between Feminism and Labor: The Significance of the Comparable Worth Movement”. (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991). Chapter One (edited) in Cases and Materials on Employment Law. Calloway, Sullivan, and Zimmer, eds. (New York: Little Brown, 1993).
• Chair of the Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2008-2009)
• Member, Martin Levine Dissertation Award Committee, American Sociological Association (2008)
• Elected Chair, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2007-2008)
• Chair-Elect (elected, serve on Council), Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2006-2007)
• Editorial Board, Gender & Society (2003-2005, 2006-2008)
• Member, Rose Laub Coser Dissertation Award Committee, Eastern Sociological Society (2002-2003)
• Chair, Cheryl Allyn Miller Award Committee, Sociologists for Women in Society (2000-2002) Member, Nominations Committee, Sex and Gender Section, American Sociological Association (2000)
• Newsletter Coeditor, Society of Institute Fellows, the Bunting Program, Radcliffe Institute (1999)
Courses Taught Undergraduate:
SOCL 1255 Sociology of the Family | Syllabi
SOCL 2300 Social Theory | Syllabi
Courses Taught Graduate:
SOCL 7200 Classical Theory
SOCL 7256 Concentration Foundation Course: Sociology of Gender | Syllabus