SMILE lab focuses on the frontier research of applied machine learning, social media analytics, human-computer interaction, and high-level image and video understanding.
Our research is driven by the explosion of diverse multimedia from the Internet, personal or publicly available photos and videos.
We start by treating fundamental theory from learning algorithm as the soul of machine intelligence and arm it with visual perception.
What follows is a synergetic media learning system that not only actively collects massive visual information from the environment, but also processes and responds human interactively with precise analysis and possible suggestions.
We approach visual problem "what is it?" but we are more interested in "what should we do?" or "what does it mean?" and hopefully tackle them by interacting with machines when data are in large-scale and parsing process is extremely complex, e.g., mining social relations among billions of images, recommending through visual cues, total understanding and early prediction of events and activities under social context.
- 11/2014, Prof. Fu as PI, Adobe, Gift donation, $9k.
- 11/2014, Our group members, Zhengming Ding, Kang Li, and Sheng Li received the ICDM 2014 NSF Student Travel Award.
- 10/2014, Prof. Fu as PI, MITLL, Multimedia Search and Retrieval, $45k, 11/14-11/15.
- 09/2014, Prof. Fu as PI, DHS, Video-Based Re-Identification of Subjects, $45k, 9/14-9/15.
- 09/2014, Prof. Fu as Co-PI, NIH, Multimodal Speech Translation for Assistive Communication, $489,200, 9/14-9/16.
- 09/2014, We have 2 ICDM 2014 Regular papers accepted (Acceptance rate is 9.7%). Congratulations!
- 09/2014, Chengcheng Jia, Shuyang Wang, and Zhengming Ding received the ACM MM 2014 Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
- 09/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on KDE paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 09/2014, Prof. Fu accepted the invitation to serve as Associate Editor of Journal of Electronic Imaging (JEI).
- 08/2014, Prof. Fu is elected as the Chair of IEEE Boston Computational Intelligence Chapter (CIS011).
- 08/2014, Prof. Fu as Co-PI, NSF, Wireless Sensing of Speech Kinematics and Acoustics for Remediation, $150k, 9/14-9/15.
- 07/2014, We have 1 Full (Long) ACM MM 2014 paper and 1 short paper accepted.
- 07/2014, Our ICME2014 paper was selected as one of the 4 ICME2014 Best Paper Award candidates (4 out of 716 submissions).
- 06/2014, We have 1 ECCV 2014 paper accepted.
- 06/2014, Prof. Fu received the 2014 DOD DURIP Award from the Department of Defense (DOD). PI, $240k, 6/14-6/15.
- 05/2014, Prof. Fu received Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Award, PI, NSF, $16k, 6/14-12/15.
- 05/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 04/2014, Prof. Fu received the 2014 ARO Young Investigator Award from the Army Research Office (ARO). PI, $150k, 5/14-5/17.
- 04/2014, Sheng Li and Prof. Fu, received the 2014 SDM Best Paper Award from SIAM SDM! Only 1 out of 384 submissions!
- 04/2014, Prof. Fu received the 2014 ONR Young Investigator Award from the Office of Naval Research (ONR). PI, $510k, 6/14-6/17.
- 04/2014, We have 2 AAAI 2014 papers accepted. Congratulations!
- 03/2014, We have 3 ICME 2014 papers accepted.
- 03/2014, Sheng Li received the SDM2014 Student Travel Award.
- 03/2014, Shuhui Jiang and Hongfu Liu received the prestigious Dean's Fellowship, NEU CoE.
- 01/2014, Prof. Fu is the Program Chair, ECCV-VECTaR2014 and Program Committee, CVPR-VSM2014.
- 02/2014, News@Northeastern, Face Value.
- 02/2014, We have 1 Image and Vision Computing (IVC) Journal paper and 2 IJCNN 2014 papers accepted.
- 01/2014, Prof. Fu is an Adjunct Professor (honorable recognition), Xi'an Jiaotong University, China, 2014-2019.
- 01/2014, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on PAMI paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 01/2014, Prof. Fu as PI, Samsung, Visual Recognition, $160k, 1/14-1/15.
- 12/2013, We have 1 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM 2014) full paper accepted for 2014 publishing.
- 11/2013, Prof. Fu received the 2014 INNS Young Investigator Award from the International Neural Networks Society (INNS).
- 11/2013, We have 1 IEEE Transactions on CSVT paper accepted.
- 10/2013, Prof. Fu has a new book with Springer on Low-Rank and Sparse Modeling for Visual Analysis for 2014 publishing.
- 09/2013, Our FG 2013 paper by Sheng Li, Liangyue Li, and Yun Fu received the Best Student Paper Honorable Mention Award.
- 08/2013, We have 2 ICCV 2013 papers accepted.
- 07/2013, Prof. Fu as Program Chair, ICCV-VECTaR2013. Program Committee, ICCV-LSVisCom2013 and ICCV-LSVSM2013.
- 07/2013, Prof. Fu accepted the invitation to serve as Area Chair of FG 2015.
- 06/2013, We have 1 Full (long) ACM MM 2013 paper accepted.
- 06/2013, Prof. Fu accepted the invitation to serve as Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS).
- 05/2013, Prof. Fu received travel grant from IJCAI 2013.
- 04/2013, We have 1IJCAI 2013paper, 1 AAAI 2013 paper and 1 T-IFS paper accepted.
- 04/2013, Prof. Fu as PI, ARO, Manifold Learning for 3D Shape Description and Classification, $50k, 9/13-7/14.
- 03/2013, Prof. Fu as PI, Northeastern University Tier 1 Program, $50k, 07/2013 - 06/2014.
- 03/2013, Prof. Fu received the 2012 TCSVT Best Associate Editor (BAE) Award.
- 03/2013, New Ph.D. student Handong Zhao received the prestigious Dean's Fellowship, NEU CoE.
- 03/2013, Call for papers: The 5th International Workshop on
Multimedia Computing and Communications (MCC’13), , Nassau, Bahamas, July 30 - August 2, 2013.
- 03/2013, Call for papers: The 12th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA'13), Miami, Florida, USA, December 4 – December 7, 2013.
- 03/2013, Call for papers: The Third IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Vision.
- 03/2013, Call for papers: The 5 th IEEE International Workshop on Analysis and Modeling of Faces and Gestures (AMFG 2013) in conjunction with CVPR 2013,
June 28, 2013. CVPR2013, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 02/2013, Prof. Fu as PI, Technion-Northeastern University Research Partnership, $90k, 02/2013-02/2014.
- 11/2012, We have 5 FG 2013 papers accepted.
- 09/2012, Press coverage: Data mining in the social-media and 3Qs: Facial recognition is the new fingerprint.
- 09/2012, All of Prof. Fu's PI grants (total of $2.3million) are transferred to Northeastern University.
- 09/2012, We have 1 ICDM 2012 paper accepted.
- 09/2012, We have 1 NIPS 2012 paper accepted.
- 08/2012, We have left SUNY at Buffalo and moved to Northeastern University at Boston.
- 07/2012, We have 2 BMVC 2012 papers accepted.
- 06/2012, We have 2 ECCV 2012 papers accepted.
- 06/2012, We have 1 ICME 2012 and 7 ICPR 2012 papers accepted.
- ... ...