Any event can reflect social justice principles. An easy way to start is by using this social justice tip sheet. If you need any help in planning your event in a socially conscious just way, please feel free to contact the SJRC (firstname.lastname@example.org). We’re happy to help!
9 Tips for Being a Better Ally
Being an ally is one thing that everyone can do to advance social justice. Allies do more than lament inequity. Allies actively support members of a marginalized community and help dismantle the structures of oppression they must contend with in ways large and small. Please feel free to contact the SJRC (email@example.com). We’re happy to help!
SJRC SEED Grants
Seed Grants are intended to be a platform for small-scale programming that enhances the culture of innovative, justice-minded thinking, collaboration and action at Northeastern.
Who can apply?
SEED Grants are available to any student groups that are a part of Northeastern University’s (NU) Advocacy & Global Impact Leadership Council or Political Action Leadership Council. Grants are up to $100.00. Eligible student groups can only receive funding once per academic year.
How do I apply?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to these 4 questions:
- What is the name of the student group applying for this grant? Note: Only one group can apply, even if that group is applying on behalf of multiple groups.
- Who is the point of contact for the group?
- What is the event that you are seeking funding for? Please include a brief description and the date of the event.
- How will these funds be used?
All requests must be received at least 5 business days in advance of the desired program date. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please use “SEED Grant Request” in the subject line.
What will the funds support?
Eligible programs must have an explicit educational or awareness-raising component about a social issue or mode of social change. The funded programming must be open to NU students beyond your individual student group and absolutely cannot be explicitly tied to lobbying in any way, because of NU’s 501 (c)(3) status.
How are funds disbursed?
Funds are not disbursed. Student groups must clearly indicate what items the grant will support, the desired quantity and when they are needed. The SJRC will purchase the designated items within the specified time-frame.
Our library of books and DVDs are available to anyone with a valid Northeastern ID. We encourage you to let us know if there are other items you want us to purchase! You can check out your desired informational items with a SJRC staff member during business hours. You will be asked to provide a current email address and your intended time-frame for returning the item so we can follow up if necessary.
SJRC Event and Meeting Space
About the Space
The SJRC has white boards, televisions with HDMI adaptors for PC and MACs and a DVD player to help meetings run smoothly. Use this form to make your reservation.
Space Usage Policy
- Northeastern organizations may sponsor an event, program or meeting in the SJRC meeting space. The meeting space must be requested at least 5 business days in advance. The sponsor must be willing to accept all responsibilities of the proposed event.
- The sponsoring or organization contact person must be in attendance during the entire time period reserved.
- Student organizations may reserve space one night per week, pending availability. Priority will be given to student groups who are a part of Northeastern University’s Advocacy & Global Impact and Political Action Councils.
- All events and use of the SJRC’s space must be in accordance with regulations set forth in federal, state and local laws as well as in accordance with the current Northeastern University Student Handbook.
- All bookings done in the SJRC for programs and events, must meet the SJRC’s constructive engagement guidelines, which means that the framing of the program (description, title, and speakers) is educational; not advocacy based; and fosters a climate for pluralistic dialogue to occur. If you have questions about whether your event meets this criteria please email email@example.com.
- All flyers and other promotional materials used to advertise events being held at the SJRC must be approved by the SJRC Program Director. Please email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 business days in advance of the time you would like to begin circulating marketing materials.
- The sponsor will be responsible for any adverse actions, behaviors and damages that occur during the use of facilities. Additionally, other attendees may also be held responsible.
- The sponsor is responsible for returning equipment and setup back to original condition and appropriate places. Sponsor must remove all trash and items from the meeting room or activity area when program is completed.
- An inspection of the facilities will be performed before and after use. Improper use of the facilities may result in restriction of further use of activity areas and disciplinary action.