Alumnus Update: Finding a Path to an Impact Investing Career

by Molly Mohr, Myles Lutheran

Myles Lutheran

Since his grad­u­a­tion in Spring of 2010, Myles Lutheran has been on a career path less tra­di­tional than most stu­dents.  Includ­ing his final co-op, he has worked at three venture-capital backed start-ups, rang­ing from socially respon­si­ble apparel man­u­fac­tur­ing to iPhone appli­ca­tion devel­op­ment, help­ing to develop ini­tial processes and progress com­pa­nies beyond the proof-of-concept stage.  Most recently Myles began a 6-month assign­ment with Eco Fuels Kenya, and early-stage social enter­prise in Kenya mak­ing bio­fu­els and organic fer­tilis­ers from indige­nous plant species, through the Fron­tier Mar­ket Scouts fel­low­ship pro­gram.  Myles cred­its his inter­est and pas­sion for social entre­pre­neur­ship to his time spent with Northeastern’s Social Enter­prise Insti­tute (SEI):

My edu­ca­tion with the Social Enter­prise Insti­tute, which showed me that I could use my busi­ness edu­ca­tion to make pos­i­tive change in the world rather than lead a life in pur­suit of the next dol­lar, was the most impor­tant part of my under­grad­u­ate expe­ri­ence.  Tak­ing me around the world and show­ing me how to apply it with a critically-open and opti­mistic mind, while work­ing with some of the world’s most under­priv­i­leged peo­ple, showed me that I had the abil­ity to help make a big dif­fer­ence through this type of work.”

While at NEU Myles became very active with the Social Enter­prise Insti­tute, trav­el­ing with them to South Africa, the Domini­can Repub­lic and Belize in addi­tion to help­ing run stu­dent groups and other pro­grams on cam­pus.  One of his favorite mem­o­ries was help­ing to orga­nize a SEI ben­e­fit con­cert for Haiti at After­Hours, which sold out the venue and raised over $3,000 for Part­ners in Health’s post-earthquake relief efforts.  He stresses that in addi­tional to the eye-opening edu­ca­tion and expe­ri­ence he received through his time with SEI, the last­ing rela­tion­ships he made with like-minded stu­dents were equally as important.

Myles views his cur­rent Fron­tier Mar­ket Scout assign­ment, a col­lab­o­ra­tion between Mon­terey Insti­tute of Inter­na­tional Stud­ies and impact invest­ment fund Vil­lage Cap­i­tal, as a step­ping stone for a career in global social enter­prise.  You can read more about his expe­ri­ence build­ing a career in impact invest­ing from his recent blog post on Impac­tIQ: “Scout­ing a Path to an Impact Invest­ing Career.”

For a more detailed update on what Myles has been doing in Kenya, you can check out his pro­gram blog “Cro­ton Chasers.”