No. There is no difference in downloading copyrighted material from a file sharing website, P2P network, FTP site or sending it over email. All unauthorized downloading of copyrighted material is illegal and violates the Northeastern Appropriate Use Policy (AUP).
- A file sharing website is offering copyrighted material for download, is that legal?
- Copyright infringement compliant – Its Not Me!
- Does Northeastern monitor Internet traffic for illegal downloads?
- I have a wireless router in my room, am I responsible for what is downloaded using my wireless connection?
- Is downloading copyrighted material illegal?
- What are the penalties for downloading copyrighted material?
- What if I own the original music CD / movie DVD / software media – can I download a copy?
- Where can I find legal downloads of music / TV and movies?