TrendMicro has published an Infographic report on the trend of cyber threats from 2006 through 2011. As the usage of the Internet increased during this time period from 1.3 billion to 2.26 billion people the number of threats has also increased.
From the report:
- Spam increased from 2 million per month to over 5.2 billion per month
- Phishing emails increased from 5,000 to 1 million
- Malware new increased from 85 thousand to over 5 million
- Websites that install malware increased from 400 sites to over 10.4 million
Luckily not all is gloom and doom. There are many simple ways to stay safe on the Internet:
- Install and keep up to date Anti-Virus software to keep ahead of the newest threats
- Keep up to date with operating system patches and software updates to prevent new exploits from compromising your system
- Use an operating system or software based firewall to stop malicious traffic before it enters your computer
- Only install mobile software from a reputable online store such as iTunes or Google Play. Check the reviews, if there are only a few it could be malware. Stick to the popular and well known software.
- Surf safely on an unsecure wireless hotspot do not enter sensitive information in an unsecured browser connection.