This week the NU crime log lists two cases where an iPhone and MacBook Pro were stolen while the owner left them unattended.
A student reported that his unattended iPhone 4S was stolen from Hurtig Hall. He said that he had tried to call the phone and could confirm that it was still on but no one would answer.
A student reported that his unattended North Face backpack containing his MacBook Pro and a textbook was stolen from the fourth floor computer lab in the Snell Engineering Center.
Make sure you do not end up on the NU Crime Log:
- Never leave your electronic devices unattended, even for a few minutes. Thieves love to walk around campus looking for an easy grab. Don’t give them that opportunity.
- Do not leave your laptop unsecured in an unlocked office or residence hall. You can purchase cable locks for both Mac and PC laptops to secure your device to a solid structure.
- Do not ask the person sitting next to you to “watch your stuff” while you get up. They and your stuff may not be there when you return.
- Do remain in physical contact with your laptop at all times. This includes quick trips to the bathroom, Starbucks run, and retrieving your lab printouts.
- Do check to see if your electronic device is covered by your insurance
If you are a victim of theft please contact the NUPD at 617-373-2121 for assistance.
SecureNU: Links to purchase Mac and PC cable locks