Insurance & Claims
The Office of Risk Services works to ensure the University is well-protected through a combination of comprehensive insurance policies and self-insured programs. The most commonly used insurance-related services provided by the Office of Risk Services include: Certificates of Insurance, Special Event Coverage, Foreign Travel, Workers Compensation, and Insurance Policies.
- Certificates of Insurance: Many times when dealing with outside entities, proof of insurance will be requested by the other party. Furthermore, the University will often require proof of insurance and legal indemnification from outside entities who are working with Northeastern or using our facilities, whether through a contract or otherwise. This proof is provided in the form of an insurance certificate and is available upon request.
- Insurance Policies: Risk Services purchases and maintains a variety of comprehensive insurance policies to ensure the University is covered for all liability aspects.
- Foreign Travel: Risk Services maintains various vendor relationships for traveling students and employees such that they are covered by Northeastern's protective umbrella even while out of the country. Available services include medical services, emergency evacuation and repatriation, as well as emergency financial assistance and workers compensation.
- Special Event Coverage: Individual departments and outside entities using Northeastern facilities can purchase event-specific insurance coverage which meets Northeastern’s insurance requirements and is available at reasonable rates.
- Workers Compensation: Risk Services administers Workers' Compensation, a system of insurance that protects employees if they are injured while in the course and scope of employment or contract a work-related illness.