Both students and employees are covered by multiple layers of insurance while traveling abroad. These policies are already in place and automatically cover all enrolled students and benefits-eligible employees without the need for a specific enrollment process. This ensures that our umbrella of coverage extends to everyone regardless of where they are at any time.
- NUSHP: All students enrolled in international programs are required to have health insurance that includes repatriation and travel assistance. Many programs require that the students enroll in the NUSHP program, which provides a worldwide network of medical providers and MedEx travel assistance and thus satisfies these requirements.
The NUSHP program is through Blue Cross and Blue Shield, which provides unlimited emergency medical coverage for members traveling internationally, but routine visits are not covered. Standard non-network overages apply for out-of-network doctors, but if one uses a BCBS-affiliated international provider, the co-payment would be the same as in the States.
If payment is required in advance by an international provider, under NUSHP the student would have to cover all costs and submit itemized, translated receipts to BCBS for reimbursement. However, MedEx and SOS offer medical payment assistance.
- Travel Assistance: Above and beyond the NUSHP program, Risk Services provides International SOS for medical assistance, international healthcare, security and emergency evacuation services. SOS covers all students who are in programs that have elected to take on SOS coverage and is separate from NUSHP enrollment. Students can inquire with their program advisors to see if their program provides SOS coverage.
Risk Services has wallet-sized SOS information cards available for distribution to traveling students. Please contact us before your trip and we will gladly distribute them among members of your party.
MedEx travel assistance offers similar services including medical evacuation, facilitation of medical treatment, coordination of insurance, medication and vaccination.
- Extended Policy Coverage: Many of Northeastern's policies extend coverage across international borders, such as general liability, educators legal liability, auto and workers compensation. The coverage extended by NEU parallels that of our state-side policies (see FAQ's for more information) and other restrictions do apply to the international coverage, so please contact us for more information on the specific limits and exclusions before you leave for your trip.
- Employee Health Plan: NEU Group Medical through BCBS offers unlimited worldwide coverage for emergency medical care for injuries and illnesses; routine visits are not covered. BCBS has a worldwide in-network of providers available while standard out-of-network overages apply to non-affiliated providers.
If payment is required in advance, under BCBS the employee would have to cover the up-front costs and submits translated, itemized bill to BCBS for reimbursement. In a case such as this, SOS should be contacted as they have a medical payment service that will assist.
- Travel Assistance: While traveling abroad on University business, employees are covered by International SOS, the world's leading provider of medical assistance, international healthcare, security services and outsourced customer care. SOS provides medical, personal and travel assistance for all NEU employees, as well as their spouses, children and other companions.
Risk Services has wallet-sized SOS information cards available for distribution to all employees traveling internationally. Please contact us before your trip and we will gladly distribute them among members of your party.