NURIEC is committed to work with Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) providers in order to promote and realize effective utilization of interpreter services by professionals when working with their deaf and deafblind consumers. NURIEC will address the shortage of interpreters in VR setting through its various initiatives:
NURIEC will provide a series of four webinars to VR personnel to promote effective utilization of interpreting resources. With advisory and outreach support from Regions I and II of TACE, the webinars will address topics on VR interpreter needs assessments and implications, the Deaf Self-Advocacy Training curriculum, how to work effectively with interpreters, and the deaf interpreter.
Target Audience for the 2013 webinars: VR specialists, State Coordinators of the Deaf (SCDs), VR interpreters, Mentors and Rehabilitation Counselors for the Deaf and HOH (RCDs).
- Calling Deaf Interpreter Trainers: New Curriculum Toolkit Ready for You! Presented by Chris Kurz on November 18, 2013 | 5:00-6:00PM (EST)
- An Online Mentoring Toolkit, presented by Anna Davis on February 11, 3:30-4:30PM. (EST)
- The Importance of Deaf Self-Advocacy Training: New Second Edition Curriculum Overview, presented by Lillian Garcia Peterkin on January 14, 3:30-4:30PM (EST)
- Working Effectively with Interpreters, presented by Dennis Cokely, Ph.D., Director of the American Sign Language Program and the World Languages Center, and Chair of the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures at Northeastern University, on July 9, 2012.
- Enhancing VR Services Through the Use of Deaf Interpreters, May 14, 2012, 2:00-3:30 pm (Eastern), presented by Launa Fields Ryan, M.S.W, CRC; Sheryl Spera, M.A.; and Stephanie Clark, M.Ed., CDI, SC:L.
- Rehabilitation Needs Assessment and Implications, presented by Dennis Cokely on June 6, 2011
- Deaf Self-Advocacy Training Curriculum, presented by Lillian Garcia Peterkin on May 23, 2011
The webinar archives are available on the NCRTM website.
Interpreter Education Program Administrator Trainings
NURIEC hosts an annual training of Interpreter Education Program administrators. In year four of the grant, the topic to be addressed is VR interpreting resources and practicum placement for IEP students.
Local Partner Network (LPN)
Our LPN includes VR personnel who actively advise our activities and their evaluation.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-26323604-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);