Below is some basic information you will need to get you started on this exciting endeavor.
1) First, are you eligible to be a Principal Investigator?
- All NU faculty are automatically eligible, all others must request temporary PI status. Please access the temporary principal investigator form at:
2) Choose a funding opportunity
- Where do you want to apply? Do you have an agency in mind or do you need to find an opportunity?
- RAF's funding opportunity page lists various search engines that can assist you.
3) Once you have your opportunity in hand, get familiar with the proposal requirements.
- Read the directions, most proposals are rejected simply because the directions were not followed correctly!
- Is it being submitted electronically? Make sure you download any application forms (ie: grants.gov kits) and fill them out in anticipation of submitting to our office (by emailing them to your grant officer)
- Need help filling out those pesky forms? Check out our fact sheet: NU Fact Sheet
- Need help with your budget? Click here
4) Fill out the Proposal Processing Form
- This is NU’s internal form that gathers all pertinent info regarding your proposal, along with all the correct approval signatures
- Please access this form at Proposal Processing Form.
5) Turn in your completed proposal along with all necessary forms to our office (960 Renaissance Park) no later than 5 business days before the sponsor’s deadline
- This allows us to review your proposal and make sure you haven’t missed anything and that your submission will receive the complete sponsor review that it deserves.