Last modified: Mar 10, 2016

Tips to get you started...

  • Conducting research with human subjects, such as clinical testing, surveys, human tissue studies, etc.

    Be aware that Title 45 Code of Federal Regulations Part 46; defines a “human subject” as a living individual about whom an investigator obtains:

    1. data through intervention or interaction with the individual, (such as, interviews, surveys, clinical testing, or any other physical intervention or personal interaction), or,
    2. identifiable private information.

    Legal requirements to protect human subjects apply to a broader range of research than many investigators realize. Protections are required for research that uses:

    • Bodily materials, such as cells, blood or urine, tissues, organs, hair or nail clippings, even if you did not collect these materials.
    • Residual diagnostic specimens, including specimens obtained for routine patient care that would have been discarded if not used for research.
    • Private information, such as medical information that can be readily identified with individuals, even if the information was not specifically
       collected for the study in question. Research on cell lines or DNA samples that can be associated with individuals fall into this category.

    Please visit the Office of Human Subject Research Protection for more information.

  • Getting approval for foreign travel charged to a grant

    Before making travel arrangements please examine, in collaboration with the Office of Research Administration and Finance(ORAF), the terms of your contract or grant award regarding foreign travel for which you plan to claim reimbursement using funds from a sponsored award. ORAF should be consulted well in advance of booking arrangements. For additional information please review the Northeastern University Travel Policy.

  • Accessing my award in Banner

    SSB and E-print are the tools to view your award in Banner, information on interpreting both can be found on the Banner Finance Help page via your MyNEU Services and Links tab.  In addition there is a Banner Finance for Research Tip Sheet available to assist you. In the event you are new to the University it’s important to note that Banner Finance access to view your awards isn’t automatically granted, it must be requested.  The instructions and forms to request Banner Finance access can be found on the Budget Office site under Links, Forms and Lists.

    In order to access your account you may need to request access via the  Banner Finance Help Page (accessed via MYNEU) under General Info at or fill out the Banner Access Form.

    Once you have secured your Banner access the following resources could be helpful:


  • What I need to do when closing out my grant

    Closing out your award is a multi step process involving ORAF, the PI and the Department Administrator.  The formal process is initiated by ORAF once your award is within approximately 60 days of ending.  A checklist of action items and email notice is sent to the PI and Department Administrator.

    CLOSEOUT CHECKLIST:   All re-occurring items must be stopped or redirected by the end date to ensure timely closure.  Typical categories are listed below:

    Salary & Labor Distribution:  All Salary/Effort charged to this cost center must be moved off by the award end date.  Review and correct any changes as necessary.  PDC forms can be found on the HR/Payroll website for use in moving/correcting salary distributions. PDC(s) can be future dated: Payroll Distribution Form

    Student employees – contact Student Employment to terminate/re-assign employment if necessary Student Employment

    Do you Have a Procurement Card:  If YES, Research Finance will contact Accounts Payable to cancel the Procurement Card.

    Do You Have a Copy Card/Codes:  If YES, YOU must contact Reprographics (617-373-2766) to terminate all copy cards and copy codes associated with this cost center.

    Animal Charges: Please stop all reoccurring animal charges against this award.

    Final Purchases/Encumbrances:Submit and approve any remaining invoices and follow-up on any that have not arrived in a timely manner.  Review outstanding encumbrances on the award.  Liquidate/cancel any encumbrances. Refer to the Procurement website for instruction: Purchasing Encumbrance Close Form

    Correct Expenditure Type for equipment purchases:  Review expenditure type for all equipment purchases, account codes 73001-73012.  Items costing less than $1,500 must be coded as non-capital purchases.

    Final Review of Expenses:  Review the award terms & conditions and ensure that all expenses should be charged to this award and if not, transfer the expenses to a non-sponsored program cost center.

    Cost sharing:  Any committed cost sharing must be expended by the time the project ends.

    Sub-awards:  Please remind each of your subrecipients to submit a final invoice (inserting FINAL at the top), final reports, and final invention statement typically within 60 days after subaward end date. Please notify Dan Gilbert via email that these requirements have been met.

    Northeastern University is required by most federal sponsors and many private sponsors to submit final financial closeout reports within 90-days after the award end date (some agencies may require early submission.)  Please assist the Office of Research Administration and Finance to fulfill Northeastern University’s obligation to our sponsor.

  • Managing my grant or contract

    Your Grant Officer or Sponsored Account Analyst is always available to help you manage both non-financial and financial related aspects of your grant.

    Find your point of contact on our Contacts webpage and select the resource based on department (for Research Administration related questions), College (for Research Finance related questions), or Subject Matter expert.


  • Issuing a subcontract to an external institution

    Before requesting a subcontract, please determine if it is more appropriate to issue a subcontract or vendor agreement. Please use the following for guidance and to assist you in making this decision. If in doubt please contact Dan Gilbert via email at or via telephone at 617-373-2127.

    Subcontract Request Form

    NU Subcontract Policy



  • Negotiating a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA), Non-disclosure Agreement (NDA), Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA), or Data Rights Agreement

    If you would like to negotiate a CDA, NDA, MTA, or Data Rights Agreement please contact Susan Watts in the office of Research Administration and Finance or via telephone at 617-373-5316.


  • Applying for funding or negotiate a sponsored research agreement from industry or corporation

    If you would like to apply for funding or negotiate a sponsored research agreement from industry or corporation please contact Susan Watts in the Office of Research Administration and Finance via email at or via telephone at 617-373-5316.

  • Applying for a grant or contract from a federal, state or foundation

    Below is some basic information you will need to get you started on this exciting endeavor.

    1)      First, are you eligible to be a Principal Investigator?

    2)      Choose a funding opportunity

    • Where do you want to apply?  Do you have an agency in mind or do you need to find an opportunity?
    •  ORAF's funding opportunity page lists various search engines that can assist you.

    3)      Once you have your opportunity in hand, get familiar with the proposal requirements.

    • Read the directions, most proposals are rejected simply because the directions were not followed correctly!
    • Is it being submitted electronically?  Make sure you download any application forms (ie: kits) and fill them out in anticipation of submitting to our office (by emailing them to your grant officer)
    • Need help filling out those pesky forms?  Check out our fact sheet: NU Quick Facts
    • Need help with your budget?  Click here

    4)     With our Flexible e-Submission approach, proposal preparation is based on the users preferred method.  Visit our Proposal Prep webpage for more details on submitting your application.